Jealous rooster attack

Pipit17

Hatching
Jul 19, 2022
I have a 4 mo. old Buff Orpington rooster(named Marco Pollo) who has shown some jealous behavior recently. He attacked my Barred Rock hen because she was sitting in my lap being petted.
Today, my stupid turkey hen flew over the fence into the neighbor's yard and couldn't figure out how to get back. So, the man next door had to catch her and put her back over the fence.
Afterwards, he and I tted over the fence forca bit while all the chickennd turkeys ran to the other end of the yard, except Marco. He stayed by my side, fluffed up and dancing a
nd crowing and showing off. We commented that we thought he was protecting me.
So, we said goodbye and I started back towards the house and suddenly Marco jumped up and attacked my bare leg, drawing blood. I had a large fishing net in my hand that was used to snag the turkey, I quickly scooped up Marco and deposited him in e coop.
Now the question is, what to with him? I generally, as a rule, do not keep animals on the farm that are agressive toward me or my family or any other living thing. Roosters are easy enough to replace and Marco has grown to a size that will make a very nice meal!
Still, I don't take this lightly.
Any other thoughts on the matter?

When the hen was in your lap he wasn't jealous. He was attacking you because he was being protective of the hen, who he is claiming as his own. He sees you as competition. That type of rooster rarely changes, and is capable of seriously injuring people, especially children, since their eyes are nearer to the ground. I would make a meal of him, or send him off to someone else who will.

Back
Top Bottom