Jealousy from top hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunshine23, Jan 11, 2011.

1. sunshine23

sunshine23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
    So, everytime I pick up one of my girls, my top girl ( a Silver Cuckoo Maran) tries to attack them really bad, she even drew blood from my SLW while I was holding her the other day. Is it possible that she's jealous?
    My other question is about their behavior when I let them out of their coop, they start running around like crazy and they even fight almost like roosters but they don't really hurt each other, Are they still stablishing their pecking order or is it something else? it's just for the first couple of minutes and nothing bad ever happens to them.

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    i think it is Jealousy, everytime i hold my EE hen, my RIR ( top hen ) flies up to my arm and pecks her

3. sunshine23

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
    Quote:WOW! who knew [​IMG]

4. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    One of my hens, not sure if she is the top hen or not but is the friendliest of my RIR attacks me if I pick up another hen. She puffs up, comes at and pecks my leg just like a badly behaved roo! I feel so bad but I have to kick her away or she will not stop until I put the other hen down. I do think she is jealous.....

5. sunshine23

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
    Quote:it does sound like jealousy to me, my Cuckoo Maran and Speckled Sussex (which are the friendliest) do peck me sometimes but it seems like they want attention

6. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think if they are pecking the other chicken they are just taking advantage of the other being held OR jealousy. If you are being pecked and they are the dominant hen (substitute rooster) I think maybe it is a protective move.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think dandelionheart has the right idea.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by