Jealousy in barred rocks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trash80, Apr 10, 2012.

1. trash80

trash80 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2010
    SW Missouri
    Anyone else have barred rocks that will come running and jump into your arms if your giving another chick[en] attention?

I have two young rocks, I believe one is a roo the other pullet, that will come running if I stand too close to the brooder or if I'm petting or talking to another chick. All my chicks are about 4 weeks old +/-. 12 are Barred Rocks, 3 are Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 are Giants or Austrolorps (by their size/age, I believe giants), 5 RIR, 6 New Hampshire, and 3 EE. Only a few are shy or just run away, but most all the rocks will come up, about half love to be held, then there is the two that act jealous :)

The RIR don't care one way or the other if you pet them or not. They may or may not run, but once caught, just sit in my hand and be petted. Some NH will come up to me, the others just keep their distance, but are curious enough to come near if I have a crane fly (snacks) for them.

The Wyandottes like to see what's going on and don't mind the petting. The male Giant(?) will come up for a pet, then go along his way. The other Giant(?) is a pullet that doesn't really care one way or the other. She'll take the petting, but doesn't request it.

One EE refuses to be held and will run. Once I have her, she'll sit there, but isn't content. Of the other two, one always joins 'the two' rocks to see if I'll pet her. The third will come up and be petting, but then is done and ready to go on her own once again.

I just found it hilarious that 'the two' rocks will always run to me, tripping or walking over the other chicks and jump on my arm. If I reach into the brooder, my arm comes back with a rock attached. A few times, one has flown (for the short distance any of them can keep air) from their brooder to my computer desk as I surf the net.

After raising Brahmas and various bantams the past two years, I've fallen in love with the Barred Rock breed.

2. Afterburner

Afterburner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    I had a rock rooster, he eventually had to be re-homed due to crowing, that was friendlier than nearly all my hens. He loved being picked up and was always the first to eat out of my hand. Stroking his plumage made him feel special and made my hens become jealous. He was a special guy, well at least until the hormones kicked in. He then became a little to rowdy and wouldn't let me pick him up unless I grabbed his feet. He still let me stroke his plumage even when I put him into his new coop, on a new farm, with a nice new flock off ladies.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    It does sound like those two are roosters. Mine was always one of the first there. Whether its being friendly or the first step in checking out a possible threat to the flock time will tell.

4. LILCHIKBIGCHIK

LILCHIKBIGCHIK Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2012
    South of Boston
    I kick myself every day for not getting more BR's. I love mine they are with out a doubt the most friendliest chicken I've met. Mine do the same as yours, I'll put my arm in to grab the waterer or something and when my arm comes out there's two BR's perching on my forearm and one going along for the ride in the waterer or feeder

5. OnceAroundTheBlock

OnceAroundTheBlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Western North Carolina
    I have a young hen (not a BR though) who every time I sit in their run on my folding chair to visit with them, will come running over and jump up on one of the arms of the chair. She'll be purring away and if I'm wearing a shirt with a pattern on it, she pecks at it thinking it's food or a bug. I haven't tried holding her yet because I don't want to scare her and make her stop this cute behavior. She also rewarded me today by laying her first egg. [​IMG]

6. Albanese07

Albanese07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Florida
    My barred rock is the exact same way. If I don't hold her and pick her up she acts offended and chirps really loud! My kids even hold her on the swingset and gently swing with her! She's my first and favorite hen ever!! My RIR doesn't like to be picked up at all nor do my production reds. If I had known I would've gotten all barred rocks!

7. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I think there is a clear connection between the BR and the dominiques here (I think BR was bred from Dominiques, if I am not mistaken) -- in any case they have the same personality trait. One of my dominiques is like this too, comes running as soon as I pay attention to anyone else. Funny thing is that she actually doesn't like all that much to be petted or picked up, so when I give in to her nagging and pick her up she can't wait to get out of my arms or off my lap. Silly chicken!

8. trash80

trash80 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2010
    SW Missouri
    This is all great to hear. I believe I'll be raising a lot more BR. I thought about getting some Dominiques. I think the BR's are making the other chicks more friendly too. My brahmas were never that friendly. The wouldn't throw a fit if held, if you could ever catch one. Only my OEGBs have been as friendly, they just don't supply enough eggs :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Keep the stories coming too. I love reading everybody's stories.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by