Jealousy in dogs - just a phase?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Aug 12, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Our two GSDs, Jax (17 mo.) and Kane (8 mo.) are the best of friends. I have owned many dogs and never have I seen two dogs get along well as these two do. At night, when the household starts quieting down for the night, they like to lay together with their front legs intertwined and take turns licking each others mouths. Neither has ever tried to assert dominance over the other. Jax is clearly my DH's dog and Kane is mine. Where DH is, there's Jax and where I am, there is Kane.
    Lately Kane has developed a habit that I am pretty sure is just a phase he's going through, but I'm not sure.
    He doesn't like Jax showing me affection. When he sees Jax trying to interact with me, he'll run up and push Jax away with his body (easy to do since Kane now outweighs Jax by about ten pounds).
    Is it a phase? Kane is a teenager now and showing more of his adult personality. When he pushes Jax away, I feel bad for Jax but I'm not sure if we should ignore Kane's behavior or correct it. Lately I've been telling him "Nien" (no!) and continue to love on Jax. Kane responds by laying down next to me, but you can tell he doesn't like it.

2. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Personally, if I wanted to love on one of my dogs and the other tried to make me stop, I would do the same thing. But then I would love on Kane a little bit, too, AFTER I was finished with Jax. Kane shouldn't try to dictate to you who you can love on.

Has Kane turned into the dominant dog? Does Jax look at all upset or sad when Kane tries to push him away?

3. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    I would do what you are doing. Ignore Kane and give the attention to Jax.
    Like brindle said, he should dictate to you when you can give attention to Jax.

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Nope, they seem to share equally pretty dang well. If Kane pushes Jax away Jax just goes to "Daddy" for love. Jax will sometimes steal a bone from Kane and vice versa. No growling or arguing involved, the one that loses the bone just redirects himself onto something else. Most of the time they will chew at opposite ends of the same bone.
    The only other time that there seems to be a competition is when I get out their brush. They both try to be the first to get brushed, but I if I have brushed one first the last time, then the other gets to go first the next time.
    The telling Kane no seems to be working. I just sat down and petted Jax for a few minutes and Kane patiently waited his turn without trying to horn in. I loved on Kane after I was finished with Jax.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think what you are doing is the right thing. I think Kane is saying "Hey, wait a second Jax this is my person. You already have yours." The only GSD I have ever had would always place himself between me or any family member and anyone he regarded as "non-family." Never aggressively, but simply stating this is my family, and I am prepared to protect. I loved him dearly. It's just the nature of the beast.

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I've noticed Kane doing that when we have company. Just recently DH's cousin visited with her DH (the dogs had never met these folks before). Kane greeted them both with tail wags and handing them his paw, but when we all sat down I noticed that he placed himself between me and them and sat there quietly. This is very much like his sire does when someone visits the breeder. Not aggressive in any way, just making himself a physical presence between the stranger and his master/mistress.

7. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Since Kane is the puppy, and a notch below Jax in the pecking order (due to his age), I would put Kane in a "down-stay" while giving attention to Jax. Since both boys are unnneutered (right?), I would be extra careful to give the dominant dog attention first. At some point, it's possible that Jax is going to be pushed over his limit with Kane's pushiness, and that can get ugly. Jamie (dog trainer) may have some good suggestions as to how to thwart the occurance of agggression. Good luck!

8. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    Neuter them. Male/Male households have more problems with this than Male/Female or Female/Female.
    Slinky

9. RiverOtter

RiverOtter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    NY
    It's kind of a mild, dominance thing.
    He's telling Jax, "No, she's mine"
    You are doing the right thing, your actions are telling him "No dear, you are mine."

Being a GSD, he will continue to do things like this (my human)
    I know from your posts that you are not the kind of owner who will have all out dominance issues with your dog, this will remain a sweet little thing. (all things in balance)
    I miss my old GSD/border collie X doing things like that.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  10. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:I've always heard female/female were the hardest with GSDs and the worst fights. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by