1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jearsy giants for newbe??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by boat309, Jan 14, 2014.

1. boat309

boat309 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    south shore mass
    Would this breed be good for the first time raiser?? And if not what is a better breed. I'm not really looking for a lot of egg production or meat just mainly pets with eggs being a bonus. What ever I get I am only getting around 7 and I do have a fairly large coop and run in the making.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Although I have not had Jersey Giants, I have heard good things about them. I personally am a fan of mixed flocks. I ordered from Ideal Poultry because I could get a variety without paying much extra (http://www.idealpoultry.com/)

It is easier to tell them apart when you have a few breeds in the flock. I think My Pet Chicken also allows for getting a mix of chicks.

Whatever breed(s) you get, I bet you will really enjoy your new chickens.

3. jillscoop

jillscoop Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2012
    North East Texas
    I have white jersey giants and they are very nice & very calm birds. They dont pick on my smaller breeds. The roo has never challenged me and is docile when I pick him up. The will take longer to mature and lay eggs for you then a regular chicken. They are also not as prolifiic an egg layer as my ameraucanas , delewares, and barred rocks. We like having this giant bird around and it may be why we have been so lucky with predator birds not bothering our free range flock.

4. boat309

boat309 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    south shore mass
    so is a mixed flock a good idea? i was under the understanding that i had to have a flock of all the same breed and or size for every one to get along?

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Lots of people have mixed flocks here on the forum. I might avoid choosing small bantam breeds with some large bossy breeds(like Silkies maybe, but I have heard of successful mixed flocks with Silkies). Although, I can't really think of any examples of mean breeds. I suppose one of my Russian Orloff hens bosses around my big Buff Brahma a bit. She gives her a quick peck when my Brahma tries to eat first. It has never resulted in injury. The more serious bullying that I have read about involves introducing some new chickens to an established flock or bullying because is weak due to sickness or injury.

I suppose to really compare the mixed flock vs. same breed flock you would need feedback from someone who has experienced both.

Another thing I like about mixed flocks is I can tell some of their eggs apart, so if their is an egg laying problem I can more easily identify which hen is affected.

6. Just plucky

Just plucky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Oregon
    We have Black Jersey Giants (2 roosters and a couple hens) in with a mixed flock of two black sex links, two easter eggers, two buff orphingtons, two lavender ameraucana roosters(apologies if I spelled it wrong) and a speckled sussex and they all get along just fine although we need to build a second coop & run for the lav ams due to too many roosters!

The jerseys are gentle giants and are our favorites personality wise, I think it really depends on the bird, you're bound to sometimes find one who doesn't get along with the rest. I say go for it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by