Jekyll & Hyde Feather? White Silkie Rooster with 1 half&half feather

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JP101010, Jul 1, 2011.

1. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Meet Johny- a Silkie Rooster
    [​IMG]

He is all white except one feather in his tail and one piece of silk strand(not even a feather) on his neck
    [​IMG]

The feather is split evenly in color and the black side has that beetle green sheen
    [​IMG]

Is this considered "splash" or does this indicate that he is not a purebred silkie? we dont care either way , but i am curious if this is a rare occurrence.
    He is the nicest rooster , we love him.

2. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    The single comb indicates he isnt a pure silkie. They are supposed to be walnut combed

3. Quote:sometimes you can find a silkei that is 100% silkie, but it has a single comb. its a gentic fart in silkie comb genetics [​IMG]

4. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Quote:sometimes you can find a silkei that is 100% silkie, but it has a single comb. its a gentic fart in silkie comb genetics [​IMG]

That may be the case now and then, but I feel pretty certain that out of the 30 or more silkies I have seen with straight combs, none of them were straight silkie. There are many other telltales, but that is a pretty good rule of thumb. If it is a straight comb, 99% of the time, it isnt pure silkie. There are exceptions to every rule...

5. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Yes, single combs do crop up in pure Silkies from time to time. There is a complicated combinations of genes responsible for the walnut comb, let one of them get lost in the mix and you can have odd combs. Playing with mine I've managed to pull a modified pea comb out of mine. And they are all pure Silkies from my birds over the past seven years.

This is one for Sonoran, my immediate thought is some where down the line he's dom white.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by