1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    OK I confess to being a jello salad snob. I don't like the stuff and never have. But, I can put together some single serving jello parfait type things that are passable.

Problem? MIL asked me to bring a jello salad to Christmas dinner.. ?! [​IMG]

I searched on here and found a few, but.... please help me. It can't be single serving, it needs to serve 15 people and it needs to be edible. [​IMG]

There are some weird jello recipes out there! Help me find one that actually tastes good!

2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I'm with you, but...you can substitute coca-cola for the water and use any kind of fruit except pineapple in the jello if you find a recipe that sounds reasonable. I have made one with cherries, cherry jello and used coke and the cherry juice from the bottle as the liquid for the jello. Not that bad, I have to say...

The thing about the pineapple is it doesn't set up quite right...still tastes ok thought...

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Does it have to be sweet and fruity or can it be savory? If savory is possible, I'll be happy to post my grandmother Lucy's Tomato Aspic.

It's better than it sounds, btw! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  4. FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

OK I confess to being a jello salad snob. I don't like the stuff and never have. But, I can put together some single serving jello parfait type things that are passable.

Problem? MIL asked me to bring a jello salad to Christmas dinner.. ?! [​IMG]

I searched on here and found a few, but.... please help me. It can't be single serving, it needs to serve 15 people and it needs to be edible. [​IMG]

There are some weird jello recipes out there! Help me find one that actually tastes good!

DW has a pretzel jello salad that is legendary (base is baked crushed pretzel, jello layer with fruit optional) and whipped cream topping.
    Does that sound like something you'd like to try?​

5. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    This is a wonderful Jello recipe that has been in our family for as long as I can remember. A gathering isn't complete without it and it is completely delicious! This Jello salad both looks and tastes better than any other! [​IMG]

Strawberry Pineapple Banana Jello Salad-

1- Large (or 2 small) pkg. strawberry Jello

1- 16-oz. frozen strawberries

1- 8 oz. can crushed pineapple

2 medium bananas, sliced

1 pt. sour cream

Dissolve Jello in water. Add frozen strawberries (undrained), pineapple (drained), and the bananas.
    Pour a little less than half of the mixture into a bowl (glass works best for presentation) and chill until firm. Let the remainder stand at room temperature.
    Once the first bowl is firm, carefully spread sour cream over the surface. Then carefully spoon remaining mixture over top of sour cream. Chill overnight.

6. FarmerJamie

Mar 21, 2010
    Oh my, I just had the vision of the jello salad from "Christmas Vacation" - lime green with cat food kibbles. [​IMG]

You wouldn't be asked again! [​IMG]

7. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    My chickens love jello salad. [​IMG]

8. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Quote:DW has a pretzel jello salad that is legendary (base is baked crushed pretzel, jello layer with fruit optional) and whipped cream topping.
    Does that sound like something you'd like to try?

Yes, give me that please!! Salty/sweet might be better.

9. FarmerJamie

Mar 21, 2010
    Strawberry Pretzel Salad
    2 c. pretzel crumbs
    3 T sugar
    1 c. sugar
    2 c. boiling water
    3/4 c butter, melted
    2 10oz pkg frozen strawberries in juice
    1 8oz pkg cream cheese
    1 9oz container of Cool Whip
    1 6oz pkg of Strawberry Jello

Mix pretzels, butter, and 3T sugar. Press into 9x13 pan. Bake for 5 minutes at 400 degrees. Cool.

Mix cream cheese and sugar. Fold in Cool Whip. Spread over pretzels.

Mix jello and boiling water. Add strawberries, let thicken slightly by cooling. Pour over cream cheese mix.

Chill and serve.

In the past, variations have included pineapple, madarin oranges, blue berries, etc.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  10. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Jello shots are the only thing capable of making me enjoy dinner with my in laws.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by