jelly and bees.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 3goodeggs, Jul 15, 2011.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I did not know where to post this question, so if you know a better subheading please advise me.

I am cleaning out my pantry and have discovered a lot of jam and jelly that my mother gave me. It never got eaten because she either over cooked it or burned it. She thought it was my job to eat the awful stuff and apparently I did not want to.
    I would just throw it out, but it seems a huge waste. Could I somehow perhaps leave it on fence posts for the bees to use?
    or would I just encourage hornets and wasps?
    I suppose I could compost it.
    chucking it would be the easiest... but I think I am feeling guilty for not eating her mistakes. [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Some birds will eat jelly. I don't know if they live around you. I'm thinking Orioles maybe. It's too early to think yet.

Imp

3. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Putting it on fence posts and/ or compost pile ... That would attract armies of ants and other pestilence such as racoons, stray dogs, etc. to a feast ! I would put it down the disposal, clean and reuse the jars. I wouln't feel ANY guilt about it eather. Why should anyone risk a trip to emergency just to please someone ?

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Agreed. The wasps would actually be attracted to the jelly, but probably not bees.

5. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Thanks you all. I will chuck it with no remorse.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by