Jelly And Soft Shell Eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by snowflake, May 11, 2011.

1. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    Not lack of calcium, getting Layana, oyster shell on the side, crushed egg shells,is there something lacking that would keep the absorption of calcium? BO laying jelly or no shell at all, EE has soft shell, 2 or 3 out of 19 hens.seem healthy but can't get them stable

2. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    How old are the hens ? Maybe its a new egg kinda thing. Ive gotten a few jelly eggs and after a few times it stops happening.

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I have a barred rock that does not lay hard shelled eggs unless I feed her crushed egg shells and cheese. She will not eat oyster shell at all.
    Someone posted on here to
    ...get from Meyer Hatchery....BVS Vitamin D3. It is a highly concentrated liquid and I just put literally just a few eye dropper drops in a gallon of water.
    I haven't gotten this yet but I think I will
    sharon

4. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    Thanks, .. hen is 2 years old, was broody a lot last summer, was thinking about putting a vitamin D soft jell in food or water?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can try adding apple cider vinegar (ACV) in their water if you havnt already done so. It helps in calcium absorption, about 1-2 tablespoons per gallon of water. It may take a little time to work, otherwise there might be something else going on... age perhaps or something amiss in their egg making process.

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Dawg,
    I didn't realize ACV would help with the absorption. I have some and will try that too.
    Thanks
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by