Jelly Bean Eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Alnjchickens, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Alnjchickens

Alnjchickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2016
    NJ
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi-
    I am a long time user of the site but never created an account. So I am happy to be part of the community. I have three laying hens all sex links i think. One of the hens , Blacktail, has been laying large eggs that look like jelly beans. Sometimes when she lays the eggs they swelll and after it cools down the shell cracks which leads to the chickens eating the egg if i dont get it before they do. Does anyone one know why she is laying these jelly bean eggs?

thanks Al

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Al, and welcome to BYC. Now those are some unusual eggs! Generally aberrations in egg shape/size indicate a change in the laying cycle, but maybe that's just how her egg production 'factory' operates. Do they contain a normal yolk?

3. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

Hello and :welcome
    We're glad you joined us!

Wow, that's a really cool and funny looking egg. How old is she? It might have something to do with her age, if she's an older hen their eggs get deformed when they get older. Try posting this in the "chicken behaviors and egg laying" thread, I'm sure you will get a lot more help there. :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  4. Alnjchickens

Apr 9, 2016
    NJ
    I got supposedly 24 week old pullets last year. It seems I was sold 2 pullets and one older hen. I know that's common...people trying to rid themselves of older hens. She always laid normal eggs since I bought her until January. She also was the only hen that molted in November. Maybe this is just a cycle...thanks for responding below is blacktail..and yes normal yoke . [​IMG]

5. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer

You could be right, she could be an older hen especially since she molted, younger birds don't usually molt until they are at least 2 years old, but then again one of my hens that I hatched is only 10 months old and she recently went through a mini molt and molted all of her neck feathers. If it's not because of her age it could be she's not getting enough nutrition or calcium. Sometimes that will cause it.

6. Alnjchickens

Apr 9, 2016
    NJ
    Thanks cherries

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. Alnjchickens

Apr 9, 2016
    NJ
    yes normal yoke. thanks for responding

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by