jelly egg? where`s the shell?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1FastFlamingo, Jan 8, 2011.

1. 1FastFlamingo

1FastFlamingo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2010
    Brevard County, Florida
    Ok, first time seeing this. Below the spot where all my girlies roost, my son and I found a soft, jelly egg this evening. It was fully formed with a yolk, but had no shell, just the membrane inside of the shell holding it together. Almost all my girls are grown up spring chicks, gearing up and laying. Could this be someone`s first egg they pooped out by accident?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Could be, but you will get shellless eggs occasionally.

Imp

3. 1FastFlamingo

1FastFlamingo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2010
    Brevard County, Florida
    Oh yeah, my son Brian is also curious... edible? and how would he crack it? lol!

4. magoochie

magoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    Grantsburg, WI
    I found one of these this morning also. However it was NOT where the girls usually lay. It was out by the food under a roosting bar. It was frozen by the time I got to it, but it was not there yesterday.

It was all wrinkled and had weird dents in it. I just tossed it, but now wish I would have opened it!

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Some people have posted that they eat them. I have not, I would worry that without the shell, it would be more prone to have bacteria at unsafe levels. Especially if it sat awhile.

Tell Brian that he should crack it on top of his head. [​IMG]

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by