Jelly Egg

Deucer49

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 6, 2010
Silver Springs
One of my hens laid an egg today taht from a distance looks like a regular egg--but when you pick it up there is no shell and it feel like its filled with wated.What does this mean?

welcome-byc.gif
Just happens once in awhile. Especially Pullets. Nothing to worry about, it shouldnt happen again with that particular hen until maybe when she gets older
thumbsup.gif

She is not getting enough calcuim. You can get some at your local feed store. Just put a small handful in your feed couple times a week or you can put it in a separate bowl or containerr and she will get it when she needs it. You can also feed her dark greens, mealworms, and other foods high in calcium to help. You can probably find a list on that somewhere on here or just do a search. My chickens did that and all I did was get the calcium and it fixed the problem.

Rammy

Thank You--I notice that they are laying less lately also--No parasites etc so could the lack of calcium be a factor?I feed Purina Layer Crumble and provide vitamins so I dont know whats going on.

I usually get the Dumor if I need it in a pinch or the crumble from the CO-OP. When I can, I go get feed at this place up in KY thats organic made by Amish farmers. I just feed that and dont add crumble to it even though the protien is only 14% instead of the recommended 16 or 17 I think. My chickens did that too and it was because I hadnt given them any crushed oyster shells for calcium for a while. Once I started giving them that again, no more jelly eggs. I also give them treats but mostly the scraps from the kitchen like leftover veggies or potatoe skins. Ive even given them applesauce. It was funny watching them try to eat it.
smile.png

Rammy

Back
Top Bottom