Jelly Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jockey1975, Jan 6, 2011.

1. jockey1975

jockey1975 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    Wilson, NC
    Yesterday as I was collecting eggs I had a surprise. It was much later than I normally collect eggs and the birds had gone to the roost. I have a old brood box that I just left in the house so some of the birds roost on top of the box. I happened to look on the box and there was an egg. I got it and much to my surprise, the outer part is like a rubber ball. Does any one have any idea what may have caused this. In my few years of chickens I have never had this happen.

And these are young hens, but all have been laying for about 4 months now. The only exception is a VERY old Rhode Island red that has not been laying at all.

Also, there is a feeder of oyster-shell in there run and it seems to be getting eaten.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  2. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    thats been known to happen every once in awhile. They need more oyster shell in their diet- It will give them extra calcium that they need to help produce strong egg shells.

3. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    check out the first egg rubber thread that is current in this same category, that might help. This is not an uncommon especially with new layers to lay a shelless egg sometimes.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Even with oyster shell supplied, some will lay eggs with faults. Especially if they are new layers, or very old ones. It's typically nothing to worry about.

5. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    3 of my 4 girls just starting laying 12/24. It started with one girls and eventually 3 of them. The last two days, I got 3 nice eggs. I just went to the coop a few minutes ago, and there was one nice egg and two, almost translucent, very soft, wrinkled eggs on the poop board. Do you think these might be from the last of my girls starting to lay? They were right together on the poop board. I'm assuming they were layed at the same time too, either last night, or early this morning because they were pretty frozen.

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

7. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Quote:Interesting. It mentions calcium w/D3. I use this to cover crickets with for my reptile. He requires alot of this. Can I use this powder for chickens too? I could cover some of their treats with it if necessary.

8. jockey1975

jockey1975 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    Wilson, NC
    I am wondering now if a hen may have put out two eggs. Went to the site suggested and saw where the sand-paper egg and I had one like that last night in a nest. Never know but doesn't sound too serious, just weird to find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by