1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jelly Eggs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by debbytingen, Feb 23, 2013.

1. debbytingen

debbytingen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    I have 3 red sex-link hens and I think they are getting old. These hens were given to me and I don't know how old they are.
    For weeks and weeks I have been finding a egg busted in the laying box. The shell is paper thin and the yolk is laying there.
    I give them lots of Oyster shells to keep the shells strong. I don't know what is going on. I know if the egg gets busted inside her that this is not good. Could this be old age that is causing this? I know that the hens were darker a year ago and now they have a lot of white on their feathers.

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Other than the Oyster Shells what are you feeding/ offering them?
    What type of feed, what treats, are you putting anything in there water?

Chris

3. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    Do you have a picture of them? Some people here might be able to tell you how old they are.

It's not a good thing that they are thin shelled, one every once in awhile is okay, but since this is often they are deficient in something. What % protein are you feeding them? What all is in their feed?

4. debbytingen

Feb 13, 2013
    Bread, Scratch feed, laying pellets, boiled rice every now and again. They roam in the yard every other day and they eat grass and worms when they can find them. I will have to go and look at the bag of pellets and the scratch to see the protein amount. I will take a picture of them and maybe we can see how old they are.

5. debbytingen

Feb 13, 2013
    Is there something I can put in there water? Where can I get it at?

6. highaltitudehen

highaltitudehen New Egg

May 28, 2013
    I have the exact same thing happening here with one of my Rhode Island Reds. Did you ever find a solution?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by