Jelly-like Substance on Chicken Meat

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by OlyChickenGuy, Feb 23, 2016.

1. OlyChickenGuy

OlyChickenGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Olympia, Washington
    My house mate slaughtered and skinned a chicken, I butchered. While cleaning what was left, I noticed that the chicken- a buff Orpington roo, about a year old- had what looked like jellyfish jelly all over his meat, most concentrated between his thighs and body. His liver was also huge. I'm simmering him until the meat is ready to fall off the bones, seasoned with lemon juice, cayenne, chili powder, garlic and onion powders. I figure the extensive boiling and these particular seasonings should have prime sanitation factors, but the jelly is really bothering me. I can't identify it, my butcher friend has never heard of it, and I can't seem to research it.

Anyone had experience with this? What is it? Is he edible?

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    I have seen this before and there was a thread about a month ago on this it is normal for some chicken meat to have on it, especially if it was brined.

3. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    Is it fat?

4. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    The thread I was on it was clear, but it was determined that the brine they had used had caused it. Chicken meat just needs to be rested but they wanted to brine it.

5. LeroySouthpaw

LeroySouthpaw Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    West Virginia
    Mine had the clear jelly stuff prior to the brining. On review, it was the small connective lining between the meat and the skin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by