1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jelly Traders!!!!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Birch Run Farm, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    [​IMG] I made Elderberry jelly tonight. It's only the second time I have made jelly and I am relieved all of my jars sealed. Pop! Pop! Popppp! I collected a 5 gallon bucket full of wild elderberry clusters and did a step by step process over a week's time due to so much going on.

I made two batches based on the recipe but had left over juice which I froze.

I love this stuff and grew up on it. My mom was a dilligent jelly and jam maker (and is once again now that I started doing this [​IMG] ) and now I find myself doing the same! I use mine mostly in home made plain yogurt.

Would anyone like to trade a jar of my elderberry for a jar of raspberry jam or jelly? I'd also trade for a jar of wild grape. I think I have half pint jars. I plan to make some more from local wild apples if I have the time.

I love harvesting from the wild. [​IMG]

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I have red or black raspberry jelly -not jam- if you'd like to trade. I make mine with 1/2 sugar and use the sugar free pectin. It's very yummy. However, I prefer the black raspberry over the red...much more flavor. Let me know.........[​IMG]

3. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I'd love a red. I've never used the 1/2 sugar recipe. Is it good?

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Cool!!

I love the 1/2 sugar recipe and don't make any jellies with any more sugar than 1/2 the recommended amount. I think you get a truer flavor of the berry rather than just sugar. But personally, I prefer the black raspberry myself!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by