Jerk Neighor is now considered a predator!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by m&m chickens, Jul 15, 2011.

1. m&m chickens

m&m chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Hartly
    So my "neighbor" (who just happens to be my brother) has had some chicken poop show p on his back porch. Seems he's not to fond of it. I offered to clean it off when it happens, but he said "keep 'em locked up". Currently, we have 28 birds, half of wich are going to the local auction b/c they are roo's ( chance you take with "free" babies) next week. I agreed to compromise, and keep them penned during the day, and only let them out for a few hours at night. Well, last night 3 of my girls decided to roost high up in the oak tree where I couldn't reach them. Needless to say, you can't let 3 in with out letting 25 out. So I left them out for the day....only to come home and find out he actually SHOT one of my hens!!! So, after a few choice words and gestures....I need to figure out a way to let my birds out of their 18 x 18 pen to pick thru the yard, etc. What's my best choice? I've seen some poltry netting, fences, etc. but have no ex[erience with any of it because they've always enjoyed my 2.5 acres freely. Any ideas? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    If four legged predators are not a problem, you might consider my fencing arrangement for containment on my BYC page, note the "fences - visible - invisible."

Good luck.

3. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    I can't blame the neighbor for not wanting chicken poop on his porch- I'd ask my neighbor to keep them penned up too. Maybe put up a good fence to keep them in. Or only free range them when you're around, that's what I do because if they were loose all day they'd do exactly the same- poop on the neighbor's porches! Silly birds don't care much about keeping the peace.

I have a moveable coop that I made "hoop style" out of PVC and chicken wire, it holds about 20 birds easily and is light to move all around the yard. You might make a couple of those- they only cost me about $75 to make.

4. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Wow I can't believe your brother did that! [​IMG] so sorry [​IMG] Hope you're able to fix your pen quickly before things escalate! [​IMG]

5. m&m chickens

m&m chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Hartly
    Me too....[​IMG]

6. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    [​IMG]

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I'm sorry that happened but I would have gone over and kicked my brothers *** butt! I would put up some kind of fence and maybe clip wings so they cant fly except when you do that you have to make sure no 4 legged predators can get in. I really dont understand why people get so crazy over poo. He wouldnt want you to shoot his dog (if he has one) or cat for pooping on your property.

8. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    Quote:No kidding, I can't believe his reaction![​IMG]

9. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Well, if my brother shot one of my hens, truthfully I don't think I would want to live next door to him

10. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Quote:x 2

I'm sorry for saying this, but what a jerk! I would definitely put up some kind of fencing up so the chickens don't wander over their again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by