Jersery Giants as meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LocoPollo, Sep 15, 2008.

1. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    I have a question about using Jersey Giants for meat. Though they are big, I heard they were not good for broilers. Is this because it takes so long to raise them, thus they arent economical? or is the meat not good by the time the bird gets big?

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    It takes them nearly 2 full years to become full grown. In the first year, they are mostly building carriage and bone, rather than muscle.

3. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Ahh I see. thanks!

4. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    Quote:My BJG roo is huge at 21 weeks. He's like the size of a small turkey. If I can succeed in keeping him alive for two years, I can't imagine what he'll be like!! His sister on the other hand is actually smaller than the layers of the same age. Kinda weird.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The issue is that they are large, but they're not heavy. I have a few 6-8 month old broilers I've held back (Freedom Rangers) who are far heavier than any of my jersey giants who are at least a full year older.

6. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    I'll get a weight on him this weekend when PC comes over. You're right, he is larger than he actually feels when I get a chance to pick him up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by