Jersey Giant 2 week old - swollen Hock - Pogo's UPDATE!

JackieK318

Songster
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Missouri
My Jersey Giant chick has had a swollen hock for nearly two weeks. I thought it was spraddle leg and treated with the bandaid brace. Her leg was directly behind her and now it's to the side after 1.5 weeks of the bandaid treatment. She still doesn't walk often and seems to not be feathering out as fast as my other Jersey Giant chick. How can I treat her? Should I continue the bandaid brace??? She is bright eyed and a talker - doesn't look to be in constant pain or ill.

Last edited:
Update: Retaped her legs with bandaid again and wiped off her hock on her right leg. It was yellowish and the crust came off in one piece. There was yellowish white stuff underneath. Not sure if pus or bone or combination.

Could her Achilles tendon be the issue? See http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/1/

If
so, how do I fix it? Or is it just too far gone? And how can I treat the infection? I know peroxide is bad for chickens. Just soap and water?

what i do is i put the chicken that is swollwen and i find a small bucket of hot water and i give them lots of cooked eggs because eggs help them heel,fruit like peaches not much citrusy foods and they fell better becauseafter a couple weeks they oppen there eyes and fell good also i put them into a bubble bath withnot to much water so she doesnt drown and i scrup them

if you suspect infection..wash with saline, and use diluted betadine.
separate her..the red color might encourage others to peck her.

Update on Pogo:

I took her in this morning to see Dr. Faegans at Watson Road Animal Hospital. Wonderful people there - absolutely love what they do and they do it well!!! Dr. Faegans told me about simply making her a one legged chicken. She said she had a polish needing to have a leg amputated last year and now he's running just fine with the others. I figured it would be worth a shot, especially with the cost only being $20. Euthanasia would have been about the same, so why not give the baby a chance! If she doesn't do well under anesthesia, then the result would be the same as the initial decision. I already nicknamed her Pogo because she never put her sore leg down and would hop everywhere. I kept telling her I wouldn't call her that forever, but now I just might!

She's still at the vet. I haven't gotten a call yet, but I hope all is going well!

I hope things are going well too! Please keep us all updated as to how things worked out with the surgery.
smile.png

I will certainly post updates. This may then be able to help others with this same issue. Pogo woke up just fine and I'm heading over to the vet in a few minutes to pick her up.

She's now resting in her dog crate with her sister. It was sweet. I went down to switch over the laundry and the two girls were cuddling. I wonder if she knows Pogo is hurt - usually each chick sleeps away from each other. Pogo did stand up, then lost her balance and got her wing wet. Poor girl has had a rough day - I'll post pictures later in the week once she's had some time to rest.

Back
Top Bottom