Jersey Giant advise requested

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by darkmatter, May 21, 2010.

1. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I have a flock of Mutts that I've been blending various traits into them. Last year I bought some Black Jersey Giant pullets and want to hatch out some of their eggs-----I know they lay brown eggs, but since I have other brown layers along with mostly the blue/green layers. My question is: Can you tell by shade of brown, size or other indicator which brown eggs are most likely from the Jersey Giants?
    I've retained my Roosters with the traits I'm striving for, so I know I'll get a Jersey Giant mutt cross----I'm looking to blend in some size to my landrace ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landrace )

The Roosters I've retained and saved from freezer camp are the ones with the shiny black gloss of the Australopes, the greenish legs of the blue/green egg layers and size. I also choose temperate behavior ( attack Roos to freezer camp)

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Jersey Giants are suppost to have X - Large brown eggs. Or just Large brown eggs.

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Jersey Giants are suppost to have X - Large brown eggs. Or just Large brown eggs.

Someone with pics of their Jersey Giants eggs would help, I suppose. Of the eggs I'm getting that are brown, there are shades of light brown to dark with some of the darker eggs a little larger then the others------I'm guessing those might be the ones I'm wanting, I'd like to confirm that with someone with Jersey Giants before I start the incubation. Since I have older hens also and older chickens tend to lay larger eggs--------you see my dilemma.​

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Oh, okay. Wish I could help you there but I only have a young BJG pullet that isn't going to lay for awhile. [​IMG]
    Do you have a coop you can put your JG hens in? If so you can put them in there for a few days and let them lay some eggs so you'll know which ones they're. [​IMG]

5. sagecock

sagecock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2012
    Harney county, Or
    Mature jersey giant hens lay x-large brown eggs, When well fed they will be noticeably larger then any other breed in the coop, Double yoke are common.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by