Jersey Giant broodies - nasty or sweet?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wynette, May 10, 2011.

1. Nasty - wouldn't touch her with a 10' pole!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sweet - allows me to touch her, check eggs/chicks, etc.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Somewhere in between

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    in the Jersey Giant thread, we've been discussing nasty versus sweet broodies. A few of us noted that our Jersey Giants that have gone broody have been sweet/easy to deal with, no hand pecking, etc. It got me wondering if that's a breed characteristic?

So - those who have ever had a broody Jersey Giant, I'd love for you to weigh in!

2. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    Sweet got my vote. I have 3 Sandhill JG broodies right now. One of them has been broody several times. The other 2 are new broodies.
    Dale-Ann

3. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Dale-Ann, sounds like you have had several JG broodies? I've only had one in several years. I was starting to think they just don't ever GO broody!

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

My current Jersey Giant broody is a year and half old black girl from Maria Hall. She has been all kinds of sweet, actually. I must say though, she always has been. Don't know if that is just her or if that is the norm. I broke her broody last year, but this year when I moved her she settled right in without a problem.

5. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Neat, Kathy! My current on that is broody is also Maria Hall. A pretty splash gal! I actually would like to hatch some eggs from her at some point...she broke herself of her broody spell, so it'll be probably 10-14 days before she starts to lay again.

6. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    Quote:They are from Sandhill. And they are blue JGs. Not that that should matter...lol. I have a couple of Sandhill Splash that haven't ...yet. The one that has been broody before has been a great Mom. But, she got off the nest kind of early and left 4 eggs to get cold this time.
    The other one that has chicks is great, also. I'm hoping the new broody on eggs does as well.
    I had heard that JGs have a hard time because they break eggs. Out of the 40 or so eggs that have been brooded, only one has been broken and that was under the older broody. She was sitting on 18 eggs!
    Dale-Ann

7. mahalo4

mahalo4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Gilbert,AZ
    I have 2 broodys right now trying to break them. Was having a great laying season, Ha not anymore these 2 girls are both ok no pecking my big blue girl went broody a few months ago she was a bit of a pecker? that just sounds sounds wrong! so I had to vote a little of both!

8. mame1616

mame1616 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2008
    Middletown, NJ
    Very growly. I never hatched any eggs when I had her, and only one of the three I have now has gone broody, and she's growly when she's in a good mood! But, no pecking or anything, from either.

9. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Sweet as can be. Just cluck at me when I move them. No need for dragon hide gloves for my girls!

However, they are generally just sweet birds to start with. I think that helps in the attitude.

With breaking eggs - give them a big enough nest so they aren't trying to stuff all the eggs in a small space. We were having ladies break eggs when they would brood in a nest box because the girls all like to fit into a box together. [​IMG] Now if one goes broody, we put her in a dog kennel in the coop, still around her friends, but no one tries to sit on her and her eggs, so far few breaking.

Also, they only get to brood 12 or fewer eggs. Over that, I think it's just too crowded. I do let them have as many chicks as they want, have one lady who happily has 21 chicks to cluck and fuss over.

10. reereechickens

reereechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Reidsville, NC
    What are the roos like? Mean or sweet? I will ask in the JG thread also!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by