Jersey Giant chicks, feathered legs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Barbedwirecat, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    Seems a bit odd, but I just noticed some of my chick that are still drying off in the incubator have feathers on their legs. I ordered these eggs from ebay. It seems like the mostly black ones have this, the others don't seem to. I ordered these as pure JG, but I'm pretty sure they shouldn't display this. These were sent to me as blue, black, and splash.

Any clues?

2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    Jersey's have clean legs. All colors are clean legs. Sorry. You probably got a few mutts. If the seller did not keep the breeds separated properly, this can happen. A roo's sperm can effect the outcome of a hen's offspring for many days after they are separated.

3. Barbedwirecat

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    I'm contacting the seller. I'm a little miffed if I went though all of the hatching and pulling out my hair for a mutt flock, when I'm trying to do a breeding project. Grrrr. I do know who I'll order another batch from if I have to however. Just won't be for a few months. *grumble*

Should have known better and ordered from a BYC member.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I'd be grumbling, too! This is one of my worst nightmares about buying hatching eggs. Ebay is always a risk. I think you can leave a comment about the seller on Ebay. A hen can store sperm for up to two weeks to fertilize her eggs.

5. Barbedwirecat

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    Unfortunatly I already left good feedback. They got here in great shape and wrapped nicely, I figured anything after that would be up to me... Go figure.

6. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    Id be miffed as well and would ask for a full refund. I worried about this as well,even with reputable hatcheries. I was afraid id get the wrong breed or a cross. I know those hatcheries can get quite hectic and from time to time the wrong chicks go in the wrong box. What was your breeding experiment. Were you going to make your own crosses to see what you get? Im curious about doing that myself. Good Luck....I hope you get things sorted out.

7. Barbedwirecat

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    I'm hoping to cross JG with a Naked Neck and get a GIANT naked neck. Then if that works, I'll try and introduce Barring into it as a pattern. I need to research a little more with coloration. There are going to be quite a few years in this project since JG's grow so slow.

I'm still working on getting my Naked necks to SOP (without the bowtie or fuzzy feet). Hopefully by the time I have that down, these guys should be ready to breed and full sized so I can weed out any issues. I may just have to bite the bullet and find someone that has full grown JG's to work with if THESE guys are not usable. I won't know till about a year.

*shuffles off to check chicks*

8. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    I was thinking about Naked Necks for a while. One of the friendliest birds out there, But boy are they Ugly. A Giant Naked Neck? I think they got those already...They're called Buzzards[​IMG]
    I joke. I would love to see the results of that experiment.

9. Barbedwirecat

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    [​IMG]

But but buzzards don't follow me around and lay me huge eggs and let my pet them... if they did, I'd need to sign up as an honorary member of the Addams Family. I do have a few Nn's that look like Eddie Munster though!! All blue body and black capped HAHA!!

Out of all my chickens, my Nn's have been the BEST layers, with giant eggies. Friendly as pie too! You should try one at some point [​IMG]

As far as the response from the breeder---basically he said the breeds are separated, they don't mix BUT his C's he marks on the eggs for his COCHINS look a lot like his J's he marks for JG. And he congratulated me on the hatch. [​IMG] I typically would go after something like that, but I'm just going to leave it be, and sell the outcome. I'll order another round of eggs from a BYC seller after I get back from vacation. Sometimes its just not worth arguing.

ETA: It looks like his cochins are Giant Blues, I might not be at too much of a loss if I can sell them.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] He can't read his own writing! Well, I'm guilty of that, too, but I'd offer to ship another dozen of eggs of JG's.

Anyway, this may be an interesting project. Show us photos of your hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by