1. There is currently a quarantine in place in the area surrounding and containing the Southern California counties of Los Angeles County and Riverside County for Virulent Newcastle Disease. The quarantine strictly restricts movements of poultry, eggs, supplies and other items that can spread vND. Please do not list items for sale originating from either county without written permission from the CDFA. Please see here for more details

Jersey Giant chicks

Discussion in 'Chicks 1 Day to 8 Weeks Old' started by djdixon, Mar 26, 2018.

1. djdixon

djdixon Hatching

Mar 26, 2018
    I have 3 chicks that are about 1 week old. I got Jersey Giants because of their docile and friendly demeanor. The chicks are so skiddish and frightened all the time. Not what I was used to with my Wyandottes and New Hampshires. Is this normal? Really worried I have made the wrong decision.

2. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude

Jan 19, 2018
    SE Wisconsin
    My Coop
    As chicks my BJG were skittish. As adult hens, they have calmed down significantly and I can walk up to them and handle them.
    I wouldn't be too concerned, just handle them as much as you can even if they are skittish.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Jersey Giants are the most friendly birds I've raised. Is the entrance to your brooder from the top or the side? A big hulking person coming from the top will freak out any chick. Always approach from the side and slowly.

4. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    I have one, and she was skittish at first. As an adult, she's quite friendly and comes when I call the girls for treats. Not all of my girls come, but my brahmas and my BJG do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: