jersey giant cockerel versus cuckoo maran pullet? PICS!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rosyposyosy, Jul 26, 2007.

  1. rosyposyosy

    rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jul 11, 2007
    as you might know i went in on an order with somebody, the cuckoo maran is mine, and i can abslutely NOT have a rooster. these are pics from the woman i shared the order with... (sorry they are so big)

    this is the one she thinks the maran is.
    [​IMG]

    this is the one she thinks the giant is.
    [​IMG]

    i think she is right but i cant chance a roo, so i'm bring them to the experts (you guys)

    thanks in advance
     
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  2. Bubba

    Bubba Chillin' With My Peeps

    479
    2
    141
    Jun 18, 2007
    With the black beak for the Jersey Giant I think you are right on Rosyposey. Marans tend to have a banded beak, black band. Jerseys usually have yellow/white on the chicks, Marans are usually white. Hope you get a nice hen out of it, good luck. BTW Big pictures are better [​IMG]

    Bubba
     
  3. rosyposyosy

    rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jul 11, 2007
    thats great! thanks bubba!
     
  4. barg

    barg Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 27, 2007
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Color sexing Cuckoo Marans at 4 days: female on left
    I pulled that off feathersite.com
    Thought you might find it helpful
    Follow the link to see more
    If you wait a few days for their wing feathers to pop out a little, you should be able to tell for sure Which is which.
     
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  5. rosyposyosy

    rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jul 11, 2007
    yes, i deffinely think that the 2nd pic is a male, she just sent me another pic of his comb devolopment

    this is the giant

    [​IMG]
     
  6. Yonaton

    Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

    306
    3
    131
    Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    Comb development at that age is no indicator. All my giants looked like that picture at that age and at 5 and a half weeks old, I'm just now seeing which of my 25 is the rooster (I noticed it today actually. He's even got some tiny wattles growing too, maybe 3/16 inch long and wide). Tail feathers aren't any help either, since about 75% of the 25 have tail feathers (2 are really developing bigger/faster than the rest), the other 25% barely have anything to be proud of as tails yet, heh.
     
  7. pharr389

    pharr389 Chillin' With My Peeps

    290
    0
    139
    May 10, 2007
    southeast georgia
    my giants, all girls.
    [​IMG]
     
  8. rosyposyosy

    rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jul 11, 2007
    oh gosh! i am so confused again!!
     
  9. annrich

    annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

    482
    5
    139
    May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    I don't know if this helps but my jersey chicks have yellow on the bottom of there feet.
     
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  10. Yonaton

    Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

    306
    3
    131
    Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    @Rosy

    If it doesn't cost too much, have that other person take it to the vet and see if the vet can sex it for you (just repay the lady the cost). Have her call first and see if the vet knows how, before she travels with a chick any distance.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by