Jersey Giant egg pics????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mudderhen, Nov 28, 2008.

1. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    I have an assortment of layers in my flock, and 4 of them are JG. 1 roo and 3 pullets. The girls are laying age, and I have two turkens and a partridge rock that are already laying. The rock an one of the turkens lay a cream colored egg, and the other turken lays a beautiful med. red/brown colored egg.
    My question is I think one or two of my giants are laying sporadically because I find brown eggs covered with dark bown spatters and I have never seen anything but solid color come from the rock and turkens. I don't think it is my other girls doing this, but I can't find any info. or pics related to JG. Can anyone confirm my suspicions about the speckled eggs?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    I think you are right. My neighbor free ranges 30 JGʻs. Part of their "range" appears to be my front yard since from time to time I find eggs that look like these.

3. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I also agree that those are Jersey Giants. I have some in the incubator that looks just like that.

4. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    One of my WJG's laid her 2nd egg yesterday! [​IMG] It was a creamish-tan color, but only around the size of a silkie egg. No spots on either of them!

5. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    Thanks guys, I was beginning to think that my other girls were playing tricks on me when they knew I wasn't around. I just couldn't figure out where they were hiding the dark brown paint for the splatter pattern. I guess it was the Jersey girls that were actually playing the trick on me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by