Jersey Giant Growth?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dec1an, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Dec1an

Dec1an Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Yorkshire, England
    Hi all

I am going to get some jersey giant hatching eggs/chicks. The main reason for me getting some will be their huge size BUT i was wanting to know some info about speeding growth to achieve a bigger bird. I dont want to use any drugs etc but thought you guys might have some tips for me. I read on average they weight between 10-13lb but ive heard people saying theyve had 20lb+ is this possible?

Any help would be great!!

2. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

Genetics plays a large part in the terminal size of poultry, as does the conditions that they are raised in. So, assuming that the JGs are from a stock that grows "large," concentrate on optimizing their environment: food of a proper nutritional profile for their age, plenty of water, warmer temperatures, uncrowded conditions, etc.

This will optimize their potential size, but it really is driven by genetics more than anything. Good luck!

3. Dec1an

Mar 6, 2012
    Yorkshire, England
    So does size of their brooder make a bigger difference then? I presumed something smaller untill they where outside so they could huddle together?

4. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

No. By "uncrowded conditions" I was referring to supplying them enough space to get adequate exercise as they grew.

I should have listed maintaining good health as a condition for optimizing growth as well. The fewer health issues they have that divert their energy to heal, the more their bodies can use that energy for growth.

I really want to re-emphasize the genetic component. If you want larger than average JGs (or any other breed, for that matter), you would be best served by getting your eggs/chicks from a breeder's lines that produce larger than average birds.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  5. Dec1an

Mar 6, 2012
    Yorkshire, England
    Hmmm you have a point about the larger stock. The problem is locally there is no one who sells them so it is not possible for me to go and look, so buying hatching eggs or from the internet can be deceptive. Like the person selling the hen is hardly going to say no because they will want to sell them, if you see what i mean?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by