Jersey Giant hen???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by feliciamckee, May 26, 2011.

1. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    Hi, I'm a new chicken owner and have a beautiful Black Jersey Giant rooster and what I was told when I bought her, was a Jersey Giant hen. Her feathers are just like his (silky, shiny black irredesent) and their legs are black. I read, however, that their eyes are supposted to be dark brown or black. His are black but hers are sort of orange. She also has kind of a "beard" which I think is adorable! I have looked at so many photos online, but because I am new, a lot of them look alike to me. They are both beautiful, healthy and seem very happy in the two weeks I have had them. She has also layed 5 eggs that we are so excited about. Any insight is so apprecitated. Jersey Giant? or something else???

2. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Can you post pictures yet? Those really help. Jersey Giants shouldn't have beards.

3. feliciamckee

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    No, I wish I did. Yes, her beard is prominant. I thought she might be an americauna but her eggs are brown, not blue. Oh, and she has a comb if that helps any.

4. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    What does the comb look like like? Jersey Giants should have single combs. If it has a pea comb, then it is probably an EE(easter egger). They can lay brown eggs, too.

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    jg have yellow feet asturlopes have pink feet on the bottoms. they both look alike other than that and no breads. good luck with her

6. feliciamckee

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    I think it is a single comb. Now I am going to have to learn the difference in combs. Not sure what a pea comb is but will find out! The bottoms of her feet do look kind of pinkish. No breads???!!! I have been giving them both a little bread every once in a while as treat. Oh no! I knew not to give them potato skins. I have read and researched even before I got them but I still learn something new every day. Even if she is not a JG...they both make a cute couple. But now, I don't know what there chicks will be!

7. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Quote:I think he meant "no beards."

8. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    I have Black JG & Austrolorps ... both breeds have dark brown eyes. With the beard and orange eyes I would say she is a mix.

JG..yellow feet & Austrolorps pink feet.

Enjoy them ! [​IMG]

9. feliciamckee

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    :DOh...no beards!!! I'm cracking up at that one.
    Thanks so much for everyone's input! Now, let me see if I can figure out how to put her new pics on here. This is my first time posting!

10. feliciamckee

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by