Jersey Giant Hens aren't laying

MamaBoats

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
I purchased a rooster and two hens and they have been together since I got them. The hens laid two eggs and haven't laid since. That was over a month ago. I moved them into a bigger area and they still aren't laying. Any ideas? They are approximately 11 months old.

well, that's a bore because I want to get chicks starting in February...do you know when they start up again? I wonder if a heating lamp wouldn't help

It is less the heat issue than it it the daylight hours. Most say 14 hours of dayllight, and hang a light on a timer to provide that extra day light time. I dont because I want my girls to get their natural break in winter. I have 5 breeds and counting that lay all winter so I am still getting eggs just not as many than with all girls laying. Are you wanting to hatch from these 2? Are they your only hens? How long have you had them?

Only my leghorns are laying for the past month or so. I am not stressing about it, but I did find it weird to have to buy eggs when I've got 8 chickens outside eating my food lol. Good thing they're pets to me and I still enjoy their antics.

Only my leghorns are laying for the past month or so. I am not stressing about it, but I did find it weird to have to buy eggs when I've got 8 chickens outside eating my food lol. Good thing they're pets to me and I still enjoy their antics.
LOL Yea they are pets here too but I have 41 and counting. Each has a name and gets pets and loves and treats lol. My DH calls me the crazy chicken lady

It isn't a question of the light. They have light and I have around 80 chickens not all hens of course but they are laying. These Jersey's are new...about a month...but still, they should be laying by now. I have had to move them a couple of times as I was getting their area ready so maybe that is it but....

They are still under stress of being in a new home and the more you move them the more stress. They need to learn their new home and figure out if it feels safe to lay. they dont know were they are or their surroundings and they are vulnerable on the nest so they have to be certain it is safe. Keep them in one spot and let them settle. Help them settle in by sittin out there for a few mins a day bring treats let them know that you are around sometimes that helps them feel safe.

Yes, I suppose...they were in their other area for a while but patience is not one of my virtues so I will just wait it out...as everyone else is laying, I just thought there might be an issue with Jersey Giants..thanks to everyone for their comments

JG's are not considered a top egg producer. Hatchery JG's usually start laying around 5 months. Birds bred by a private breeder can start later. If the dietary and environmental needs are being met, I would question the true age of these hens. Separate these two hens so you can observe exactly what is going on. They could be egg eaters. and if you are wanting chicks, I suggest you purchase a roll-away nest box.

Back
Top Bottom