Jersey Giant info....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aeg1001, May 15, 2009.

1. aeg1001

aeg1001 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Small town, Ohio
    Ok so we just discovered we have jersey giants when TSC said they were australorps. We are not disappointed, but we had already researched australorps. Anybody have any good info on JG I looked on one site and it didn't say much about egg production. I would trust U owners other than a website that i can't be sure of. So any info you could pass along about them would be helpful, THANKS! [​IMG]

2. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    I have jersey giants and really they other than the beauty of the maran is my favorite breed. They are the most docile, friendly and lovely birds. My roos are the most comical and friendly birds i have on the farm. They do eat more per ratio of feed. My eggs are huge once they hit around one year, they are considered a large egg at pullet, jumbo at adult. I don't get eggs every day, around every 2 days. The jerseys usually don't give eggs til around 6-7 months because they are not considered grown til around 18months.
    http://nationaljerseygiantclub.com/

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  3. aeg1001

May 11, 2009
    Small town, Ohio
    Thank you for all the info here are some pics if you don't care to take a look, if u can tell what they are for sure

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    How old are they? I would probally say the one with the comb is a roo. The females get combs but they are much smaller and the roos combs get red around 6 weeks and start to get waddles around that time.

5. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    I read somewhere that you can tell the difference between Black Australorps and jersey giants is the color of their skin especially on the bottom of their feet. The australorp has white while the jersey giants are yellow. They both have black or dark shanks
    The giants don't lay as much as the BA but the eggs are larger.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  6. aeg1001

May 11, 2009
    Small town, Ohio
    We have had them for 8wks today. we noticed one of them trying to fight with a different bird yesterday. They are getting fiesty [​IMG]

7. aeg1001

May 11, 2009
    Small town, Ohio
    We were down looking today and we are 95% sure they are JG. My step-son wanted them so we only let him get two, and happy to find he made a good choice [​IMG] we have a rooster and a hen! we are so excited to breed these birds [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by