1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jersey Giant mix chicks - East Tennessee

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by NellaBean, Sep 17, 2009.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I hatched out approximately 20 Jersey Giant cross chicks in the last 2 days. 14 of these chicks are from my White Leghorn hens with my Jersey Giant (black) Rooster. 6 chicks are from my Rhode Island Red hen with my Jersey Giant (black) Rooster. The White Leghorn chicks hatched out yellow with some black spots, the RIR chicks hatched out black.

[​IMG]

The big orangey chick is a brahma (ignore that one).

My White Leghorn girls faithfully lay an egg every single day. I have one girl who lays a LARGE to XL egg every day since her first egg, going on over 30 days now. She gave me a JUMBO+ egg yesterday.

My RIR girl is my friendliest chicken and pretty faithfully lays me a medium brown egg almost every day. She usually takes a day off every week or so.

I am hoping to add some size to my layers with this Roo.......the Jersey Giant girl from the same hatch as him lays LARGE to XL brown eggs pretty faithfully almost every day as well.

I expect the boys from this mix to be big enough to eat (but nice enough to keep, my roo is great) and the girls to be great layers but big enough for meat as well.

As this is my first batch of chicks, I don't have any idea what they will actually turn into. My Rooster has been a slow bloomer but is a great guy, takes good care of his girls now and I have 100% fertility on the girls big enough for him to service. As you can see, he is much larger than the girls. Here is a pic of him with the RIR girl and you can see one of my White Leghorns in the background as well. He had a recent molt he is recovering from so his tail and neck feathers are still coming back in. He is a gentle giant (over 2 feet tall now) who I have no problems with whatsoever.

[​IMG]

I am keeping only a handful of these guys and would love to sell the rest. $2 a chick, will meet for pickup only. I am in the Loudon/LenoirCity/Knoxville/Sweetwater area regularly.

1 person likes this.
  2. Bluebellschicks

Bluebellschicks New Egg

Sep 21, 2009
    I am a new BYCer! I am interested in getting some chicks this fall to keep in my greenhouse over the winter and start laying in the spring. I will be in Knoxville over the weekend to see my son/daughter in law and am interested in maybe buying 4 to 6 chicks. Please let me know if this will work for you. I live just outside of Louisville,KY so the chicks will be travelling by car to our farm. Too much stress on them or will they be ok if handled gently?
    Can't wait to hear from you!

3. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Hello!

The chicks will be about 1.5 weeks old by then, so I think they would make the trip fine. Will need to be kept warm, but should be okay in a large group, maybe with a little heating pad thing in their box/crate/etc.

These are straight run (of course), so I would probably recommend at least 6, as you will have to deal with some roosters.

I am planning on having a yard sale at a friend's house in West Knoxville (Farragut area) on Saturday and would be happy to bring some chicks for you. Just let me know how many of each (3 black and 11 "yellow" left available). If Sunday would work better, I will be in Lenoir City that day....

Just let me know. Thanks! [​IMG]

4. Bluebellschicks

Bluebellschicks New Egg

Sep 21, 2009
    Thanks for working with me to bring the chicks to Knoxville, but I don't think I'm ready yet to have baby chicks!! My greenhouse is still not chickproof! (Or maybe its preditor proof!!) I have to fix some holes in it before I get started with the chicks. Thanks again, hopefully we can work something out later on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by