1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jersey Giant not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by derbychick, Jan 21, 2008.

1. derbychick

derbychick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2007
    Charlestown, IN
    We have 4 hens (9 months old, so I suppose they're technically still pullets) of varying breeds. During the longer days we frequently got 3 eggs in one day, but never 4... and after observing who goes in and out of the coop during the day, I suspect that the Jersey Giant is not laying at all. Is this normal for the breed at 9 months? The others started around 4 months.

She has such a great personality, she doesn't need to worry... but I'm just curious! Is there still hope?

Thanks!

2. Astrid

Astrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2007
    Connecticut
    No answers, but tell me about your Jersey Giant! I've got four hens (two BR's and two BO's) and have been intrigued by Jersey Giants. What are they like? Are they really BIG?

Thanks!
    Astrid

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    She may not lay until spring.

My jerseys where some of the latest to begin to lay. I am trying to watch to see who is laying and have a fairly good idea. Some lay daily and some don't. If production isn't up by spring its time to cull the hens. I hate to do it but there isn't room for very many nonproductive hens in my operation.

4. EggCentric

EggCentric Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Ball Ground, Ga
    My JG's were almost 10 months when they began to lay, and they now lay daily. Cold weather or not.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I just thought about something else-

Some of the larger chickens do not lay as early. You sacrifice the early laying for a bigger bird and it takes them longer to get the egg plant started up. I read somewhere and can't find the book right now that some hens may need a good year to get to the egg laying especially when they are the large varieties.

6. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    derbychick, my JGs were about 9.5 months when they began to lay. JGs just take longer to mature because they are building their frame first. Mine aren't the best layers and go broody a lot. My EE/JG cross started laying earlier and lays better than the pure JGs.

Astrid-
    -yes, JGs are big, their height comes from their Langshan heritage. I've had 5 JG roosters and all have had a nice disposition and a loud, deep-toned crow. This breed was bred for the meat market, but as I said JGs are so slow maturing that they aren't an economical breed for the market. The one hen I let brood on eggs was a very good mother, she kept her babies by her side longer than my EE mama hen (something like 9-10 weeks compared to 6 weeks)

Maybe you can get a few JGs from MissPrissy since she plans on culling some.

7. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    No answers, but tell me about your Jersey Giant! I've got four hens (two BR's and two BO's) and have been intrigued by Jersey Giants. What are they like? Are they really BIG?

I think they are a great breed...very big and majestic!

Our Jersey Giants

8. Astrid

Astrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2007
    Connecticut
    Awww, they're beautiful!
    I didn't know that they could be blue as well as black! So just to give me a bit of perspective, they're bigger than Buff Orpingtons, right?

9. derbychick

derbychick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2007
    Charlestown, IN
    Thanks for the replies! I am glad to know that they're just late bloomers, in general. I had read that JGs were slower to mature but nothing was specific about what that meant... weeks, months... So this is very helpful!

Astrid, JGs are definitely bigger than Buff Orpingtons. (And I'm an expert--I have one JG and one Buff Orpington) [​IMG] I haven't weighed them, but when I pick them up, the JG is definitely harder to get my hands around! She has been significantly larger ever since she was just a chick. She's a great bird... so sweet and docile. All 4 are friendly, but she's the one who most enjoys being petted.

10. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    I got a JG off of Craigslist and I love her! She is my favorite hen. She is sweet, likes to talk, and is a real treasure. Mine is about 9 months old, and has layed through the winter, but not daily. I'm interested to see what her production will be like in the spring. Mine is hatchery stock so she isn't HUGE, but she is the biggest gal in the henhouse. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by