1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jersey Giant (or any large breed would fit) roosting question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BarkerChickens, Jan 25, 2010.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I have 30 chickens....28 hens and 2 roosters. One of my roos is a Jersey Giant. Our roosts are 2x4 with the 4" side being the flat side for their feet. For the other 29 birds, it is seems fine. But, my JG roo is huge (12-13 lbs and he is only 10 months old ans still skinny!) and it seems like it is a mere stick for his size!! His chest is getting a red, dry patch where he is against the 2x4 (rounded edges, not sharp!). I think a 2x6 would be better, but figured I'd get ya'll opinions first before I go spend money!

Any other suggestions are great too!!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    He should be fine with a 2X4.

I only have 2 X 2s in my coop and they do fine.

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Well I suggest you get him a 2x6 roost.

4. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    2x2 ought to do it for any chook, whether roo or not unless extreme cold weather present. Wider the roost, the more chance you will have poop to scrape off daily. [​IMG]

5. Splash Giants

Splash Giants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    I use 2 x 4s for all my Jerseys and they do great with it.

6. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    2x4 should do it, so long as frost bitten toes aren't an issue [since you live in california i'll just go ahead an assume their not]. but from what i'v seen of jj's they have extremely weak legs due to early years of production use, so its best if the roost is lower to the ground... but i'm sure you know more than me...

7. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    While I live in California, we live in the high desert, which means HOT summers and cold winters. We get snow at times and definitely below freezing, but the chickens have a heat lamp in their coop that turns on at 35 and turns off at 45, so it never gets below freezing in there. We definitely aren't as cold as many places in the US! The roosts are only 2 - 2.5 ft off the ground, so they don't have issues getting up there. He is just a big bird! His toes hang off slightly on the flat side of the 2x4! I worry about the chapped skin on her chest where it rubs on the wood. But, if it isn't a big deal and I am just being a worry wort, then I will let it be. [​IMG]

Here are pics of him at a mere 6 months old!!! [​IMG] (The BRs and EEs near him are definitely full-grown at 2 yrs old!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    WOW!!! He's a big guy.

I have left over 1/2" plywood that's 6" wide by 12 ft long. It's great because the girls have room to move around to find their perfect spot for the night and in the Pacific NW, it's great that they snuggle down over their toes HOWEVER, I do have to scrape the poo off every morning.

I'm planning to switch to a 2 x 4 or 1 x 4 and putting in droppings boards covered in vinyl for easier cleanup.

9. Spinster_Sister

Spinster_Sister Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2009
    Hawthorne, CA
    You have a very handsome Jersey Giant roo! Very impressive! I have one Jersey Giant hen, Parsley, who is almost 7 weeks old....I hope she grows the same sheen and regalness of yours! I am also in Southern California but towards the coast. How did you find a thermostat that will turn on at a prescribed temperature?

10. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    WOW!!! Beautiful BIG guy. I am starting a breeding program of my own this spring. I am going to commit the next 6 years to improving the quality and even trying to increase the Giant size of the JG's. I Love Them! Bigger is always better. Especialy since I live in TEXAS. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by