Jersey Giant or Australorp?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kitnut, Dec 23, 2012.

1. kitnut

kitnut New Egg

Jun 19, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I purchased my Betty from a man on craigslist advertising Jersey Giant pullets. Since then,I'm not so sure about Betty being a Jersey. Her feet and skin are pinkish,which is an Australorp trait. I might allready have answered my own question. Does anyone else have another opinion?

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, I'd say you just answered your own question... Jersey Giant's feet will be yellow, or at least tending towards yellow, whereas Australorps tend towards pinkish/purpleish feet. Do you know how old she is? She kind of looks full grown, and at the same size as your Buffs is too small to be a Giant.

3. kitnut

kitnut New Egg

Jun 19, 2012
    Betty was born March 15th of this year 2012.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Australorp.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    X2 - Black Australorp

6. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    Check the bottoms of her feet; if greenish/yellow, she is a Jersey Giant.

7. kitnut

kitnut New Egg

Jun 19, 2012
    Thank you all for your valuable input. I had thought months ago that she was probably an Australorp. Thats OK. My wife and I love her very much just the same. She's part of the family,Australorp or Jersey. She's recently become a confirmed member of the flock and has taken her place at the bottom of the peck order. It took a while. So its 7 Buff Orpingtons,1 Black Australorp. Thank you very much.

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I think that is an Australorp!

9. Twoodz

Twoodz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Australorp

10. kitnut

kitnut New Egg

Jun 19, 2012
    Thank you for your input. As you can see by the previous comments,its unanimious. The man that advertised on craigslist,"Jersey Giant pullets for sale",was a liar. He did have a Jersey rooster with 4 hens. I guess he had one Australorp that he did'nt care for and figured that I was ignorant enough for him to lie to me. He lives in Auburn,Wa. He's russian. His name is Igor. So,I have Betty the Australorp,and I love her. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by