Jersey Giant or Australorp?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Druantai, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Druantai

Druantai Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    I have other australorps, but I've never had a rooster. He's suppose to be younger then my girls, yet he has nearly 4 pounds on him. His feet are yellow and his eyes have a yellow ring in them.

The woman I got her from insisted it's an australorp, but i'm still not convinced.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't really see that yellow on his feet that you mentioned in this pic. I can see that green iridescence in the first photo, and I don't know if Jersey Giants have that. My two Austalorps have slightly different colored eyes and some variation in the black on their skin. I have also had chickens of the same breed vary in size especially between males and females. Maybe this thread will help:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/749425/australorp-or-jersey-giant

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    all black chickens have that green sheen to them when the sun hits them right. what color are the bottom of his feet. if they are yellow then JG if white/pink Aussie

4. Druantai

Druantai Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    I could really appreciate more feedback over this. I have a breeder who sold this trying to "defame" me because I simply told her it was not a show quality bird like she had intended to convince me of. She showed me the supposed parents, and their all perfect with black eyes and really pretty plumage, matching APA standards, but this rooster is simply not pure bred, regardless of what she says.

I've been doing extensive research into the APA showings of australorp, and even with the recent update to it, yellow eyes are noted, but not breed standard.

I guess the real reason I'm upset is that because it strikes against my nerve. I start to question the moral fiber of a woman who is making phony sells. What's worse is, how do I get her to stop? It just won't stop, the gossip and ****. Can I throw an APA book at her head?

I'm kidding :he Sort of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by