1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jersey Giant or Australorps?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickiemom3, Sep 5, 2016.

1. chickiemom3

chickiemom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2016
    Northeastern OH
    Hello everyone! New chicken owner here :). We ordered a "brown layer pack" from a hatchery and I had no idea how much it would drive me nuts not knowing what kind they are! Our pullets (at least they are supposed to be pullets--we will see) are currently almost 5 weeks old. A couple of the breeds were easy to determine (like the barred rocks) but two are difficult to figure out by online pictures. One is all black, one is mostly white. We think either Australorps or Jersey Giant for the black one and possibly Delaware for the white? Please let me know what you think!![​IMG][/IMG]

2. chickiemom3

Aug 4, 2016
    Northeastern OH
    [​IMG]

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    On the black one. What color are the bottom of the feet? Pinkish White = Australorp, Yellow = Jersey Giant. Not 100% accurate in hatchery stock but good guidelines to go by. On the white one, it could be a Delaware or a Light Sussex depending on leg color. Yellow legs = Delaware, White legs = Light Sussex.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    I agree.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Gray Farms also

6. chickiemom3

Aug 4, 2016
    Northeastern OH
    Thank you for the reply! The feet seem to be yellow, so we will make sure the coop door can accommodate these girls! :)

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The white bird has barring in the black markings, so it's a Delaware.

What hatchery?

8. chickiemom3

Aug 4, 2016
    Northeastern OH
    We used Meyer Hatchery. A lot of people around us use them and we had a good experience. It helps that they are only a few hours from us, so the chicks didn't have far or long to travel. Thank you for your input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by