Jersey Giant? Pullets or Roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bravo, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    I bought these 2 "girls" on Saturday to add some body heat to the coop (due to my husbands desperate pleas to move my 3 other 3 month-old gals out of the garage). Wish someone told me how addictive chickens really were before hand!

The guy I bought them from said they were Jersey Giants and about 4 months old. None are laying yet. They are a lot bigger than my 3m/o EE's and about 5lbs each.

Are these really Jersey Giants and if not, what? Also, are they pullets or roos?

There are two so lets call them #1 and #2. A few of my 4 wk old EE chicks snuck in the picture so ignore those little ones!

#1 and #2 (left to right, #1 has the tail)
    [​IMG]

#2 foreground, #1 background
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks guys and happy Thanksgiving!!

2. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Both Girls... and they look to be either a cross or maybe Black Aussies... [​IMG]

3. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Is the light part on their feet yellow or pinkish white?

Both girls, I think.

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Both hens.

5. They look like my black australorp hens. My NJG hens are a bit different looking than your babies.

I would say either Australorp or a mixture of the two.

6. Kieyamama

Kieyamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    NorCal
    My BA's all have pink on the bottom of their feet....And they look like girls to me.

7. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:I second this. Both parts- hens and australorp/ Jersey Giant mix. But I couldn't know for sure.

8. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Thanks all!

I thought they looked a bit suspicious [​IMG] One has some yellow on her feet but the other has a pinkish pigment.

They really seem to be getting along well with the others. They are so gentle with the 4wk olds (I cant even trust my 12wk olds near the babies because they are too aggressive) so they are allowed to intermingle on neutral territory lol.

Does the 4 month age seem right based on their pictures? Hopefully they will be good layers if they are (or are mixed with black aussie).

Ps. didnt realize my dogs were in the background in one of those pics! They are pigging out on a head of lettuce that was intended for the chickens. Just didnt want anyone to think they were eating a chick LOL!

9. I absolutely love my BA's. They are gentle, quiet and very beautiful birds.

They tend to stick together and they roost together.

If I had to start over, I would start with at least half my flock of BA's.

10. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:I love mine, too! They're beautiful and sweet. But be warned, they're Houdini's when it comes to escaping, coops, brooders, anything! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] But other than that, they're sweet little birds, and cute, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by