Jersey Giant Roo waggling head?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by nfwc1964, Nov 8, 2012.

1. nfwc1964

nfwc1964 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    Danville, NH
    Our Jersey Giant Roo has mastered the art of crowing but now he exhibits a head waggle. Is this another rooster behavior? He is 17wks and doesn't do the waggle before, during or after crowing?

Also, I know this breed suppose to be cold-hardy but am concerned about his comb & dwangling red bits freezing since winter is coming.

thanks
    Nancy
    Ps.yes newbie to chickens any advice *greatly* appreciated
    pps. aware "dwangling bits" not proper term but don't know the name for them :)

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Have you checked for parasites?

I have a barred rock rooster that does this as well. He has for the longest time. No parasites, and in great health. He's just 'special'.

Sometimes it could be due to an inner ear problem, but head shaking is the only sign my roo displays, and it's after crowing.

3. nfwc1964

nfwc1964 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    Danville, NH
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

re:eek:ur Roo's (22wks) head waggle. we don't suspect parasites since head waggle isn't continuous or all day long. after observing more it seems he just likes the feel of his cheek flaps hitting his face :)

4. tripoh

tripoh New Egg

Dec 9, 2012
    I have a jersey giant roo and he does this very rarely. he just likes the feeling i guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by