Jersey giant rooster breed with Silkies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickenlover20, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Chickenlover20

Chickenlover20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    I have 3 silkies bantams and 16 black jersey giants (15 hens and 1 rooster)...
    My silkies bantams are pullets/hen.
    Im worrying about my rooster breed them. because he might squish them.
    will she ok if rooster mount on them?
    They still in the coop, i wont let them out till i know if its going to be ok if they can be around the rooster.
    i do have other kind of hens too. I have 5 delawares, 2 buff orpington, 1 barred rock, 1 silver wyadotte, 16 jersey giants, 1 leghorn, 2 light brahmas, 3 silkies, and 2 amaercanas.

LET ME KNOW if its okay for them to be together. if its is, i might try crossbreed them.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

The rooster may pay no attention to them at all, especially since there are so many other hens/pullets available. I don't think my LF chickens know what to make of my silkies...lol. You could always try it and see...if your roo begins to express interest in the silkies, you could always keep them penned. I would think that a JJ's body would be too large to successfully fertilize a silkie hen (parts wouldn't match up), but I could be wrong. As to whether it's safe or not, it depends on how much your JJ weighs and how much your silkies weigh...

3. WaterFowl209

WaterFowl209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    Turlock,CA.
    I think the jersey roosters Clara might damage alot of the silkies feathers when mating it definitely might be to rough especially if he is unsuccessful at mounting because then he will keep trying over and over and get very aggressive with them, if you want to cross breed your silkies with him just extract the seamen from him and inject the hens with it using a small pippet I hear the process is not that difficult to do

4. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    It really depends on the rooster. He may ignore them, or he may try to breed. We have a bunch of standard cochins as well as 2 chickens that I believe are seramas (the 2 little ones were free). I collected their eggs like normal and once when I was setting eggs for the incubator it got me thinking, could their egg posibly be fertile? I always told myself no way, they are too small for that big old rooster. I tried and they were unfertile, ohh good, those poor little creatues aren't being breed.

Well that rooster died and I raised another. I decided to try again for the fun of it expecting to take the eggs out after 4 day, and guess what, they were fertile. I only put in 2 eggs and they both died early in incubation, but that means the newer rooster did get the bisness done. The day after I find out they are fertile, I go done to the barn and see it for the first time since we got them 4 years ago. The giant cochin rooster on the poor little hen. She screached and I felt so bad for her, but surprisingly, I never see missing feathers as if they had the least damage from the big rooster compared the the large hens. So it depends on the rooster, my first one didn't, but the second one does. Guess you will have to watch and see.

5. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    the silkie eggs will not fully develope - the silkie hens eggs are small and standard breeds eggs. are larger to hold the chicks size. the mixbreed silkie embryos will run out of room and could die. as theyre mating size just watch them at first, they may loose feathers or may be left alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by