1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jersey giant sexing.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lythy, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Lythy

Lythy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2015
    So today I went to get some new 6 week old chicks jersey Giants are very rare around n.ireland so I had a very long drive to get there.
    I was very sad to see the state this persons hens were in. Way too many in a tiny space , adults picking on chicks etc etc.
    Is there anything I can do they have bold patches all over. I'm feeding mealworms and chick crumbs. He also could not tell me if they were hens or roosters. Can you guys have a look plz.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I wouldn't be surprised if they're all cockerels [​IMG]

for their condition, I would just give them a good feed and some time. chicks are resilient.

3. browngrub

browngrub Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2014
    Central texas
    I have the same breed and pretty much the same age. My chicks have bald spots as well. Give them time to fill in. The first 2 picks look like cockerels. My rooster is a big boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Lythy

Lythy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Are they definitely jersey giants. I was a little worried they weren't. I'm really wanting to see a little yellow. I'm so unsure..
    sorry about the pic quality my wife is not used to the slr camera

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  5. Lythy

Lythy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2015
    I have added more pictures above. Can anyone help confirm these are indeed jersey Giants and not australorps

6. MysteriaSdrassa

MysteriaSdrassa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2015
    Central Wisconsin
    Jersey Giants should have yellow showing an the undersides of feet and between toes,,,, pinkish is an Australorp trait,, sorry but I think you were misled by a disreputable breeder. Also, I find the Blue coloration of the one to be disturbing,,, Whether Giants or Lorps,, there should not be any blue birds,, further suggesting that there was some mixed breeding going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by