Jersey Giant sexing

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fscvics, Nov 15, 2016.

1. fscvics

fscvics Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2016
    Central Florida
    Are Jerseys one of the breeds you can sex based on feather growth? I have six, supposed to be pullets. They're a week old, give or take, and purchased at Rural King. Five of them have the ridiculous wing feathers and the tiniest tufts of tail starting to grow. Then there's the other guy. Same age and size as the others. Wing feathers, but not as goofy big as the others. No tail tuft either. It seems healthy enough and keeps up fine with everyone else but just doesn't have the same feathering.

What do you think? Are they a feather-sexing breed, or do I just have a late bloomer?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Really need good photos- forward facing to show comb development, and natural standing profile.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry they are MUCH too young - I just noticed you said 1 week old. If they weren't bred to be wing sexed, you won't have good results.

1 person likes this.
  4. fscvics

fscvics Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2016
    Central Florida

That's all I was really wondering. I'm content to wait and see but I'd read Brahmas (our chicks-in-progress in the incubator) can be determined that way and I haven't found a conclusive list of breeds it works on so far. So, I figured I'd just ask. :) Thanks for helping!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by