Jersey Giant - white earlobes???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Eggcellent Adventure, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Eggcellent Adventure

Eggcellent Adventure Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Hi,
    We bought 2 jersey giants from a breeder (local). One has all red on face/ears/comb, but the other is starting to get white earlobes. Could it be that the breeder crossed with a Minorca? We are new to chickens so not sure if this is unusual. Also she was the first to lay an egg this morning, a big pinkish double yolker. I was surprised since JG are supposed to be slow to mature, she is only 22 weeks. Will these earlobes get my daughter disqualified from our local county show? We thought we had a JG so entered her in that division. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. Eggcellent Adventure

Mar 27, 2011
    I'll post a new pic with the earlobes, but you can see them starting here when she was a month younger: They've gotten bigger and whiter now....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  3. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    Not sure, but I have a JG hen and a roo and they have black ear lobes...no white at all. She is very pretty!

4. Eggcellent Adventure

Mar 27, 2011
    Thanks, this is a more recent pic and you can see the white is coming out more and more... confused.... maybe not a pure jersey giant? Although bought from someone who shows them locally. We adore her anyway and SO excited about our early egg today!!!
    [​IMG]

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:did you mean Red ear lobes?...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by