Jersey Giant

HootleBoot

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2023
So one day my dad got me and my sister Jersey Giant hatching eggs. And almost all of them hatched. They were supposed to be black jersey giants. One of them hatched out yellow. And as he grew a bit he got a little bit of orange on him. But he died :(. Also another one we got he's still alive and he's not full black. (He had two brothers who were full black) but he has orange on him so idk if he's full black jersey Giant. All of them that we hatched were full black except him and the white one. And him and a hen is all we have left from our hatch.
Picture of him below: (his name is Old Rusty)

Attachments

• 16802934599935416619321827766668.jpg
    16802934599935416619321827766668.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 37
So one day my dad got me and my sister Jersey Giant hatching eggs. And almost all of them hatched. They were supposed to be black jersey giants. One of them hatched out yellow. And as he grew a bit he got a little bit of orange on him. But he died :(. Also another one we got he's still alive and he's not full black. (He had two brothers who were full black) but he has orange on him so idk if he's full black jersey Giant. All of them that we hatched were full black except him and the white one. And him and a hen is all we have left from our hatch.
Picture of him below: (his name is Old Rusty)
I’m no expert but he might be a mix?

My other thought is a black copper maran but I’m unsure since I don’t have either breeds.

Attachments

• 6D71E791-E696-43CC-A23B-8E3270E896CA.png
    6D71E791-E696-43CC-A23B-8E3270E896CA.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Is there a way to tell if your bird is for sure a Jersey giant. When I bought Chick Chick we were told she was a jersey giant and would get extremely large. She is just a hair bigger than a regular chicken but her coloring looks exactly like some of the chickens I have seen others post on here.

I have/had Jersey Giants. I too was expecting them to be much larger than they are because of all I've read. I got them at Tractor Supply. I've since learned that the ones that come from hatcheries aren't as large as the ones that come from reputable dedicated breeders. The hen I have left is bigger than a black Australorp. Not much bigger but noticably bigger. The rooster I had was also only a bit larger. I kept him because they are supposed to be very docile roosters. He was not. But the hens are awesome! And at least you don't have to worry as much about huge nesting boxes or as much bumble foot because of the roosts being too high for their weight. :)

I have/had Jersey Giants. I too was expecting them to be much larger than they are because of all I've read. I got them at Tractor Supply. I've since learned that the ones that come from hatcheries aren't as large as the ones that come from reputable dedicated breeders. The hen I have left is bigger than a black Australorp. Not much bigger but noticably bigger. The rooster I had was also only a bit larger. I kept him because they are supposed to be very docile roosters. He was not. But the hens are awesome! And at least you don't have to worry as much about huge nesting boxes or as much bumble foot because of the roosts being too high for their weight. :)
Yea you are right about that. She has a box we bought off Amazon that we attached to the side of the house about 2 ft above ground. She lays in it everyday. Since the hurricane she likes to stay close to the house. Never ventures out the yard.

Is there a way to tell if your bird is for sure a Jersey giant. When I bought Chick Chick we were told she was a jersey giant and would get extremely large. She is just a hair bigger than a regular chicken but her coloring looks exactly like some of the chickens I have seen others post on here.
Jersey giants do grow very slow. But more and more you see folks buying astralorps and being told they are giants. Giants will have yellow skin and bottom of feet, where an astrlorp will have white.

Back
Top Bottom