Jersey giant

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tgpeters, Aug 6, 2013.

1. tgpeters

tgpeters Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2013
    Alabama
    I purchased a black jersey giant and 3 astrolorpe I have black chickens with yellow feet and two with pink/white feet could they have made an error and sent two giants ?? Here is a pic of the feet that look yellow. [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, I think that they could have made a mistake. Are just the webs of the feet yellow, or are the bottoms of the feet yellow too? If so, they are definitely Jersey Giants. If not, they might just be hatchery-quality Australorps with the wrong color feet.

3. tgpeters

Apr 12, 2013
    Alabama
    Yes the bottoms are VERY yellow. I bought them through McMurray McMurray and I was beginning to think they miscounted my giants cause the chicks look so much alike. But also wondered if it still could be the astralorpe. Is there any other way to tell besides wait till they grow ? They are 9 weeks old now

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I don't think that there is any other way to tell.

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Your Lorps should have pink/white feet bottoms, and your Giants should have yellow feet bottoms. That is pretty much the only way to tell between the two (other than size once the Giants are grown). I believe you are correct that an error was made.

6. tgpeters

Apr 12, 2013
    Alabama
    Ok thank u !! Kinda happy I got more then I wanted in giants :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by