1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jersey Giants - a question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RaZ, Nov 23, 2011.

1. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    TBD - Please help.
    I'd like to add 2 more birds to my flock of 6 and have decided on JGs.
    According to the breed section, they are black, white, blue and splash. Are they bred for other colours? Does anyone have any decent pictures?

Thanks.

2. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    I only knew of the white and black! So as far as any other colors besides what you mentioned I wouldn't know? I have a black JG hen that is wonderful tho!

3. IowaHeritage

IowaHeritage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Western Iowa
    Yes Giants come in many colors now with Blue and Splash being the new ones.

Just be careful as some are breeding for color only ( single trait selection ) and immediately loose SOP, type, size...etc.

There a couple of breeders on here that specialize in the colored Giants and seem to have a good Rep.

So far, I have stuck to the Whites only.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. RaZ

Apr 20, 2011
    TBD - Please help.
    Thanks Iowa,
    Your birds are very nice. I'd be happy with white JGs.[​IMG]

I wasn't necessarily looking for a specific colour, I was mostly curious about the variations that were listed but did not have pictures. I still want to see what they look like, though.
    Since I'm not showing or breeding, specific traits don't interest me all that much. I just want to add to my flock and JG seem like a good choice.

5. IowaHeritage

Jul 17, 2011
    Western Iowa
    Your welcome RaZ, and That's fantastic that you appreciate the JG's for what they are.

True, not everyone is interested in exact standards for breeding , showing etc....but
    The more Giants that are in the world, the better for the breed. I do have some young stock
    available that didnt make the breeding herd cut. The rooster strutting in my post above is a prime example of
    such. Fantastic specimen, but his leg coloring is too yellow.

Nice website btw.......... [​IMG]

Greg

6. RaZ

Apr 20, 2011
    TBD - Please help.
    By available, do you mean for sale?

Thanks for the website comment. I really need to update it.

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:White Giants should have willow green legs. Yours appear to have yellow legs.

8. IowaHeritage

Jul 17, 2011
    Western Iowa
    You are absolutley correct. That is why I noted that in Post # 5.

The strutting rooster pictured is king of the Mutt pen- Not a breeder !
    As is the hen with with large comb in the second pic.

Interestingly enough, those with too yellow legs also seem to lack a dark Amber eye.

We all must cull heavily to preserve standard.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  9. exop

exop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    NB. The standard recognizes only Black, White and Blue (actually grey colored) Jersey Giants. Splash is not a recognized color variety yet, even though it is caused by the same gene as Blue (Splash giants have 2 copies of the Bl gene, instead of just one Bl for a Blue bird).

I raise Splash giants and hope that things will get moving soon. They're quite attractive birds. Willow legs, like the Whites, jet black eyes, palest grey white feathers with occasional dark grey streaks. On the plus side, if you're concerned about type in the "forked" colors of Jersy Giant, you can cross your Splash to a nicer shaped Black and get 100% Blue offspring with a slight improvement in type and no loss of color quality.

Best - exop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by