Jersey Giants and Brahmas

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Master S.M.C, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    I forgot to ask when I posted how many chickens could fit in a 10X8 coop that I plan on having Giants and Brahmas together, will this work?

I also plan on having 6 hens of each breed and one rooster of each breed, since they are a larger breed do I need more space? ( 14 birds total)

2. mjane

mjane Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    I think it will work okay. I raise jerseys and you will just love them! They are wonderful! They are friendly, make great pets and the eggs are super huge. I've never had brahmas but I heard they are nice as well.
    Now jerseys I think do need a bit more room but the demisions probally will be ok. Do you plan on having a run too? Keep in mind if you get more you might need a bigger coop, the jerseys are very addicting.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Four square feet per bird is what I`ve been reading. Never had to worry about it myself.

4. Master S.M.C

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Yes a run that is 15X80

5. mjane

mjane Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    I think you will be fine then. Good luck with your birds. By the way where are you getting your jerseys?

6. BrackenFarms

BrackenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    lollipop is correct and with 10x8 coop that gives you approx. 5.75 sq ft per bird so get six more haha jk jk and as far as the run is concerned you have plenty of room rule of thumb you need 10 sq ft per bird in run so with 15x80 you have eough room for 120 birds

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    IMO, if they are going to be confined to a coop and run for the most part you might want to think about one roo or the other, not both.
    I've been there, done that. Although my roos never really fought and they free-ranged all day the flock just seems calmer now that I only have one roo.

8. Master S.M.C

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Both are coming from cackle, if that doesn't work out a breeder is second choice

9. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, I agree that with the outside run it will work fine. Without the outside space, if the flock has to be locked up in the coop only, then it's only 5.7 sq ft per bird, and heavies should have 10 sq ft, if confined in the coop, according to The Chicken Health Handbook, by Gail Damerow.

bigzio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by