Jersey Giants and Standard Brahmas from Ideal??? Post Pics... Please

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Candiss, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Hi, my sons want a large pet chicken, I am interested in getting one of these. Does anyone have opionions on these breeds and the quality from hatcheries. Thank you.

Candace

2. Tylt33

Tylt33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    I have two week old Buff Brahmas and Dark Brahmas from Ideal. Of my ten chicks from Ideal, a Dark Brahma was the only one to die. The other DB is the smallest of the remaining nine chicks and seems to have some developmental issues. The Buff Brahmas are lively and vigorous. The two BBs hate to be separated. Chickens love company, so whatever you get, get a couple [​IMG] In terms of quality, they're just hatchery chicks, so probably not show worthy.

3. carol in oklahoma

carol in oklahoma New Egg

Jul 13, 2010
    I don't have a picture but I have three black female jersey giant pullets. I got them earlier this spring. They seem very sweet, fairly docile basic chickens. I went on my pet chicken and reviewed the different breeds and decided on these for their qualities. It is too early to tell if these will be one of my favorites. As to personality and quirkyness I have had good luck with barred plymouth rocks, australorps and wynadottes.

Carol

4. my3chickens

my3chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    I have 2 Black Australorps (1 rooster, 1 hen, 3 months old) and they are sooooo sweet, I also have a White Rock rooster who is wonderful, but the Australorps are definitely my favorite. The rooster likes me to hold him and rub his chest, just like a man!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by