Jersey Giants & Buff Brahmas: egg production?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HJECG, Feb 24, 2014.

1. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    These are two breeds I am learning more about because I have some interest in adding one of each to my flock (hens only). Each of these two breeds is obviously gorgeous to look at, and both seem to have extremely gentle & calm temperaments, which is important to me. However, as far as egg production goes, I am reading mixed reviews for both breeds. Some folks seem to think that Jersey Giants/Buff Brahmas are dependable layers along the lines of, say, an Orpington, while other people say that these breeds are notably poor layers. Have any of y'all owned (or do you own currently) Jersey Giant or Buff Brahma hens? How do you find them to stack up to other dual purpose breeds in terms of egg production? When did they start laying for you, how often do they lay, and what do their eggs look like? Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  2. 14hens1cockerel

14hens1cockerel Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2014
    Hiya, I own some brahmas! They are fab! They are the best chickens I could recommend!
    They start laying at about 11months and one of ours has just come into lay! Today was the second day in a row that we got an egg! So yes, I would recommend these! Hope you get some!
    14hens1cockerel

3. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    It depends on a couple factors, what one thinks is reasonable egg laying, and if one is dealing with the real thing or hatchery stock. Hatchery stock will lay and lay a lot but not have the size or body conformation that makes the breeds unique.

The real thing will take much longer to mature, often not laying until 8-10 months or even older. Having had both Brahmas and Giants I found the Giants to be slightly better at egg production with about 200 eggs/year while the Brahmas were 150-180. Not a huge difference at all.

These two breeds in particular are very comparable as both were developed for the same reasons, primarily a large roasting fowl and both are composite breeds, the Brahma being created with Cochin and Malayoid fowl, while the Jersey Giant, a more modern breed, was created from the Langshan, Brahma and Java.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by