Jersey Giants ~ Buff Orps ~ Red/Blk Stars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CK Chickadilly, Oct 16, 2008.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I am trying to decide what laying hens to get. I would like to try about 3 different breeds.

I was wondering if these breeds were good egg layers or not?

I want something that is going to be nice & friendly but also lay a lot of eggs.

An aquaintance said the Orps. weren't that good at laying. I thought they were.

Any thoughts from you experts? [​IMG]

2. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    [​IMG] I would get Australorps instead of the giants...the giants eat a lot more for not much return....RIR's are good layers...and I like Wyandottes!
    ~Rebecca

3. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

My BO and 2 Black Stars started laying about a month ago and haven't taken a day off yet!

BTW, My BO is as sweet as can be. The 2 black stars are scared to death of me though. They will come a running if I have food or treats, but other than that, they want nothing to do with me. They also make ALOT of noise!

4. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    needmorechickens! :

[​IMG] I would get Australorps instead of the giants...the giants eat a lot more for not much return....RIR's are good layers...and I like Wyandottes!
    ~Rebecca

Are Australorps good layers? Are they friendly?​

5. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I second the Australorps. Beautiful hens, lots of eggs and they really are good layers in the winter too. Barred Rocks are also a good choice.

6. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Oh boy! Such choices. Should I get eggs or get young pullets? I kind of want them to be friendly so maybe raising them from eggs to chicks would be better.

Can Australorps, BR's & blk/red stars fly? They say the buff orps. can't, is that true?

7. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Not to knock anyone’s favorite chicken this is just my opinion

BO are good layers but, Buff Rocks also have a great disposition & they lay better!
    Stars will burn out after2/3 years ((but are sweet)) I have one myself

Lets go back to the Jersey Giants!!!
    all the books I read have said JG eat a lot & BA are economical eaters but, my personal experience says opposite

All of the BA I have had were not very social [​IMG]
    (I always gotten them up till this spring because they are economical eaters)

My JG eat no more than my BR they do seem to be better foragers though!
    They are also very friendly!

8. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Ok, so I want excellent eggs layers w/good dispositions. What about ISA browns? I know they are excellent layers but are they friendly?

What should I order?

9. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    will you be insulating you coop?

if you are
    RIR (Excellent layer) Friendly
    NH (Very Good)Friendly
    Delaware (Very Good) Friendly
    Rocks are very good layer & friendly
    BO (good layer)

if not
    I would go with Pea comb Brahmas (very friendly), Americanas friendly (but mine don't want to be picked up)
    or Rose comb Wyandottes Very good layer(friendly) , Dominques good layer (friendly)

Rose & Pea combs won't suffer frost bite!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2008
  10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

My RIR's are the most consistant. My Red Sexies started laying at 16 weeks and haven't let up. My Black sexies put out double yolkers on an almost daily basis

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by