Jersey Giants (I think), but are those spurs coming in?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by voodoorider37, Apr 17, 2012.

1. voodoorider37

voodoorider37 New Egg

Apr 9, 2012
    Denver
    Our chicks are 5 weeks old today. When we bought them, we were told one was a Jersey Giant, and the other was something else. After watching the birds grow for 4.5 weeks, they appear very similar in size and shape. The only significant difference is the coloring of their feet (shown below).

While I was looking at their feet this afternoon, I noticed a nub on each leg, and I wondered if that could be a spur - and maybe these birds would never be laying any eggs. Can anyone speak to whether or not these are actually hens? Will those bumps present at week 5 turn into spurs?

Jack

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Yes, those will turn into spurs, but hens often get spurs too. Almost all mine do, or, atleast spur nubs. It is kinda early for them to be developing though- can you post a comb shot?

3. voodoorider37

voodoorider37 New Egg

Apr 9, 2012
    Denver
    Here's a photo of both. If it's not direct enough, or too blurry, let me know and I can grab 'em and get a better shot.

Jack

[​IMG]

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    JG the bottom of their feet are yellow
    BA the bottom of their feet are white/pink

as for gender all chicks have spur bumps were the spurs on roosters will develop, although some hens (for me mostly my games) can even develop spurs themselves. to me those two still look like pullets right now

a straight on head shot (of both) might help better as well to determine gender guesses. does it look like they are already developing wattles?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  5. voodoorider37

voodoorider37 New Egg

Apr 9, 2012
    Denver
    Here are a few better shots of the chicks in an attempt to get a more "head on" shot.

Jack

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by