Jersey Giants? Le Fleche? Wyondette? What are these buggers????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tannubyky, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Tannubyky

Tannubyky Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    I ordered a mix from ideal and brought home 26 babies. I'm totally lost as to trying to figure out what these guys are. I started by taking pictures of all the chicks (at about 3 days old) and organizing them into groups (these look like the same...) then going through ideal-poultries site and comparing all of their chick drawings with my pictures and making lists of what mine could be. You can see that all here if you'd like: http://www.tannubyky.freehostingclo...Blog/Entries/2010/11/5_Breed_Identifying.html

Today they are 10 days old (we have 24 left) and I took pictures of all of their wings and tried to group them by breed again. But I'm really stumped on the black ones (and not very sure about any of the other colors either LOL) I have them all up here: http://www.tannubyky.freehostingclo..._Farm/Blog/Entries/2010/11/12_Chick_Pix!.html

I was going to copy all the pictures onto my BYC page to post directly here but that's a LOT of pictures, and a LOT of time to load them all and I already have them organized all pretty on my blog so that's why I just put links. Sorry!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Your descriptions don't help. All black chickens start out as black and white when young. The breeds you listed as chicks though do have something different - Check their combs. If you ordered or think you ordered what you listed, here's what to look for:

Jersey Giants - Single comb; looks like a sawtooth edge

La Fleche - V comb; looks smooth but pronged at the very tip/back

Wyandotte - Rose comb; is broad and flat

What they most likely are, though, since those listed breeds are rare and hatcheries usually don't give them as mixed assortments to buyers (they're just not popular enough) I bet you have Black Australorps. They're very common, always come in black, and have a single comb. (sawtooth edge)

Your yellow/buff colored ones are Buff Orpingtons.

3. Tannubyky

Mar 3, 2010
    Quote:Wow super helpful thank you. You're probably right on the black chicks. I'll look closer and take pictures of the combs next chick pix day (Monday).

The black chicks all seem to have single saw-tooth combs. (Black Australorps)
    The Buff chicks have single saw-tooth combs. (Buff orpingtons)

Any guesses on the other chicks?

The Silver guy that I think (hope) is a silver laced Wyandotte (I only got one of these) does have a broad, flat & smooth comb... [​IMG]

The yellow chicks with brown patterned feathers have single saw-tooth combs.

The one yellow chick we got (top of page main article picture) with brown laced-white wings also has a broad flat & smooth comb

4. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    I must commend you on your display page - it was really cool!

I agree- there's a good chance the black ones are all Black Australorps.

I don't know about the yellow ones - except they're cute.

There is a possibility that the 1st brown chick is a partridge rock...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The one with the puffy cheeks and chimpmunk stripes is not an Ameraucana. Feathersite doesn't show or know everything correctly. . .

What you have is an Easter Egger (mutt) Hatcheries call them Ameraucanas but they're not.

6. Tannubyky

Mar 3, 2010
    Quote:Does the partridge rock have a comb? The two brown ones I have (totally the same breed) both have flat smooth heads.

Quote:Sorry if I got that mixed up. I thought Ameraucanas were the "mix" and Aracauna was the "true" kind. I didn't realize Easter Egger was the name of a third "mixed" category. (I thought it was just a general for both Ameraucanas and Aracaunas.... I'll be sure to use the right term next time though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by